Monday, April 28, 2014

Jacob 5:73-77


73 And there began to be the natural fruit again in the vineyard; and the natural branches began to grow and thrive exceedingly; and the wild branches began to be plucked off and to be cast away; and they did keep the root and the top thereof equal, according to the strength thereof.
74 And thus they labored, with all diligence, according to the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard, even until the bad had been cast away out of the vineyard, and the Lord had preserved unto himself that the trees had become again the natural fruit; and they became like unto one body; and the fruits were equal; and the Lord of the vineyard had preserved unto himself the natural fruit, which was most precious unto him from the beginning.
75 And it came to pass that when the Lord of the vineyard saw that his fruit was good, and that his vineyard was no more corrupt, he called up his servants, and said unto them: Behold, for this last time have we nourished my vineyard; and thou beholdest that I have done according to my will; and I have preserved the natural fruit, that it is good, even like as it was in the beginning.  And blessed art thou; for because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard, and have kept my commandments, and have brought unto me again the natural fruit, that my vineyard is no more corrupted, and the bad is cast away, behold ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard.
76 For behold, for a long time will I lay up of the fruit of my vineyard unto mine own self against the season, which speedily cometh; and for the last time have I nourished my vineyard, and pruned it, and dug about it, and dunged it; wherefore I will lay up unto mine own self of the fruit, for a long time, according to that which I have spoken.
77 And when the time cometh that evil fruit shall again come into my vineyard, then will I cause the good and the bad to be gathered; and the good will I preserve unto myself, and the bad will I cast away into its own place.  And then cometh the season and the end; and my vineyard will I cause to be burned with fire.
Jacob 5:73 - 77

The servants and the Lord of the vineyard worked hard to save the trees.  Their efforts paid off.  Natural fruit began to grow and thrive.  As this happened, the wild branched were cut off and cast away. 

Hugh Nibley observes:

To restore the tree the Lord of the garden must work with a will: "When I apply my hand to dig the furrows thereof," says the Thanksgiving Hymns, "its roots strike even on granite, its stocks are firm-grounded in the earth."60 Through Zenos the Lord commands: "Dig about the trees, both old and young, the first and the last.... Prepare the way for them, that they may grow" (Jacob 5:63—64). And when this is done, "the natural branches began to grow and thrive exceedingly; ... and they did keep the root ... thereof equal, according to the strength thereof" (Jacob 5:73).[1]

The servants followed the commands of the Lord.  Finally, the bad branches had been cast out of the vineyard.  The Lord had preserved the trees that again brought forth natural fruit.  They became like one body and all fruits were equal.  The Lord, in a revelation He gave Joseph Smith for a conference, said, “I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine” (D&C 38:27).

The natural fruit had been preserved, “which must most precious to [the Lord of the vineyard] from the beginning.”

James Faulconer explains Zenos’s point.

Note that just as the possibility of good fruit is what keeps the Lord from destroying the vineyard, the presence of evil fruit brings the vineyard's burning. The point of Zenos's story is the gathering of fruit, not the preservation of either branches or root.[2]

Caring for the trees was important.

Achieving uniformity in the crop is obviously desirable, since a small percentage of very bitter fruit mixed in with the rest would reduce the quality of oil for the entire batch. Hence, the Lord of the vineyard strived to achieve a situation in which all the trees "became like unto one body; and the fruits were equal" (Jacob 5:74). Once this condition was achieved, the crop was stabilized "for a long time" of fruitful harvesting (Jacob 5:76).[3]

The Lord called his servants together.  He told them this is the last time they had taken care of his vineyard.  “[B]lessed art thou; for because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard … ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard.”

The angel speaking to Nephi told him, “And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day, for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost; and if they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb; and whoso shall publish peace, yea, tidings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be” (1 Nephi 13:37).

Speaking of the worth of souls, the Lord told Joseph Smith, “And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me” (D&C 18:15-16).

At the end the Lord speaks to his servant, "Blessed art thou, because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard.... Ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard" (Jacob 5:75). Jacob echoes these words: "How blessed are they who have labored diligently in his vineyard" (Jacob 6:3)—those who have participated in the divine activity of at-one-ment. In latter days the Lord has said, "I will gather together in one all things, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth" (D&C 27:13). The allegory underscores the fact that the greatest work going forth on the earth is the work of bringing those who are scattered, alienated, and miserable back into harmony and oneness with each other and with the Creator.[4]

Why did the Lord say this was the final time they would nourish the vineyard?  “After a certain point, however, rejuvenation is impractical or impossible and the tree dies. Hence, the Lord of the vineyard recognizes that the end is at hand when he goes into the orchard to prune and harvest for the last time (Jacob 5:75).”[5]

The Lord will lay up the fruit for a long time “against the season which speedily cometh.”  When the time comes that wild fruit grows again, he will cause his vineyard to be burned.

And here ends Zenos's allegory. 


[1] Prophets in the Wilderness, Hugh Nibley, Maxwell Institute, accessed April 28, 2014.
[2] The Olive Tree and the Work of God: Jacob 5 and Romans 11, James E. Faulconer, Maxwell Institute, accessed April 28, 2014.
[3] Botanical Aspects of Olive Culture Relevant to Jacob 5, Wilford M. Hess, Daniel Fairbanks, John W. Welch, and Jonathan K. Driggs, Maxwell Institute, accessed April 4, 2014
[4] Jacob's Allegory: The Mystery of Christ, M. Catherine Thomas, Maxwell Institute, accessed April 28, 2014.
[5] Botanical Aspects of Olive Culture Relevant to Jacob 5, Wilford M. Hess, Daniel Fairbanks, John W. Welch, and Jonathan K. Driggs, Maxwell Institute, accessed April 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment