Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Enos 1:6-10

6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen.  And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.
9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.
10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments.  I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.
Enos 1:6-11

Enos, having heard a voice telling him his sins were forgiven, knew it had to be true.  Why?  “I … knew the God could not lie.”  His guilt was swept away.

Enos than asked the Lord, “how is it done?” Enos was forgiven through his faith in Christ, “whom [he] hast never before heard no seen.”  Enos was a man of deep faith.  In some ways, he resembled the brother of Jared.  When the brother of Jared asked the Lord to touch the stones, he saw the finger of the Lord.  His faith was so strong, the Lord could not prevent him from seeing His finger.  After the brother of Jared asked the Lord to show Himself to him, the Lord asked if he believed His words.  The brother of Jared replied:

12 And [the brother of Jared] answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.
13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.
Ether 3:12-13

Through Enos’s faith, he had been made whole.  During the Lord’s ministry, a woman with serious health problems believed that if she touched the Savior’s robe, she would be healed.  She touched His robe and was healed.  The Savior knew what had occurred, and used this to teach the woman why she was healed.  “But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.  And the woman was made whole from that hour” (Matthew 9:22).  He wanted her to understand it was her faith in Christ, not the touching of His robe, made her whole.

Susan Easton Black wrote about the importance of faith.  (This is a great article. It is well worth the time to read the whole thing.)

From the scriptures I have learned that "the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him" (1 Nephi 7:12). We must "ask in faith, nothing wavering" (James 1:6) because "it is by faith that miracles are wrought" (Moroni 7:37). "Jesus [is] the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2); "your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters" (Mosiah 5:7). We all yearn to hear, "Thy faith hath made thee whole" (Enos 1:8).[1]

Having received forgiveness of his sins, Enos began to think about his people the Nephites.  “I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren.”  Lehi desired his family partake of the fruit of the tree.  “And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit” (1 Nephi 8:12). Alma2, talking to Helaman, told him, “Yea, and from [the time of his miraculous conversion] even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost” (Alma 36:24)

The wife of king Lamoni, awaking from the miraculous conversion, worried about the welfare of her people. “And it came to pass that [Abish] went and took the queen by the hand, that perhaps she might raise her from the ground; and as soon as she touched her hand she arose and stood upon her feet, and cried with a loud voice, saying: O blessed Jesus, who has saved me from an awful hell!  O blessed God, have mercy on this people!” (Alma 19:29).

Enos continued his prayer, [pouring] out my whole soul unto God for them.”  Nephi prayed for the welfare of his people until the end of his life.  “But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people.  For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry” (2 Nephi 33:3).

Amulek taught the poor Zoramites the importance of pouring out you soul to God.

26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
Alma 34:26-27

While Enos continued his struggle with the Lord, the voice of the Lord came to him.  “I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments.”  Once again, we see that the Nephites keeping the land of promise is based on whether they are wicked or righteous.  The Nephites had been given the land and it will be cursed only if the people are wicked.  The brother of Jared received a similar promise.

7 And the Lord would not suffer that they should stop beyond the sea in the wilderness, but he would that they should come forth even unto the land of promise, which was choice above all other lands, which the Lord God had preserved for a righteous people.
8 And he had sworn in his wrath unto the brother of Jared, that whoso should possess this land of promise, from that time henceforth and forever, should serve him, the true and only God, or they should be swept off when the fulness of his wrath should come upon them.
9 And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them.  And the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity.
10 For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off; for it is the everlasting decree of God.  And it is not until the fulness of iniquity among the children of the land, that they are swept off.
11 And this cometh unto you, O ye Gentiles, that ye may know the decrees of God—that ye may repent, and not continue in your iniquities until the fulness come, that ye may not bring down the fulness of the wrath of God upon you as the inhabitants of the land have hitherto done.
12 Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ, who hath been manifested by the things which we have written.
Ether 2:7-12

The Lord told Enos if the Nephites transgress the law, “I will bring down with sorrow upon their heads.”

The same land is both blessed and cursed, and the inhabitants likewise are blessed or cursed not by virtue of their family connection, but according to their behavior: "It is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity" (Enos 1:10). The old Hasidic curse on the land of Canaan is virtually identical with that which is pronounced on this promised land in the Book of Mormon…[2]




[1] A Legacy of Faith, Susan Easton Black, Maxwell Institute, accessed May 19, 2014.
[2] The Trouble with Ham, Maxwell Institute, accessed May 20, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment