Monday, June 16, 2014

Words of Mormon 1:6-9

6 But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren.
7 And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me.  And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will.
8 And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people.
9 And now I, Mormon, proceed to finish out my record, which I take from the plates of Nephi; and I make it according to the knowledge and the understanding which God has given me.
Words of Mormon 1:6-9

Speaking of the small plates, Mormon tells us that, having found the small plates, and having been pleased by its contents, he put them, unabridged, with the rest of his records because he “knew they will be choice unto my brethren.”

John S. Thompson further explains:

Assuming that Mormon simply inserted Nephi's small plates intact into the compilation of gold plates that Joseph Smith later received—a point that can be argued from Words of Mormon 1:6 … then the plates that Joseph Smith received may have been written using two different scripts. One—containing regular, identifiable features of the Egyptian language contemporary to Lehi—would have been used by Nephi on the small plates. The rest of the record (Mormon and Moroni's abridgment of Nephi's large plates and the plates of Ether) would have been written using the altered script of Mormon's day.[1]

We’re first introduced to the small plates of Nephi in 1 Nephi 6.  Why was he commanded to make the small plates?  “Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not” (1 Nephi 9:5).

Alma2, talking to his son Helaman , explained, “And I also command you that ye keep a record of this people, according as I have done, upon the plates of Nephi, and keep all these things sacred which I have kept, even as I have kept them; for it is for a wise purpose that they are kept” (Alma 37:2).

Mormon includes the plates “for a wise purpose, for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me.”  He puts his faith in the Lord because He “knoweth all things.”

John W. Welch writes:

Once again and from yet another dimension, we can appreciate the depth and value of the precious small plates of Nephi. In the end, Mormon included them in his final compilation of the Nephite records for a reason yet unknown to him (Words of Mormon 1:7), but in their own day these plates served many choice and crucial purposes for the immediate “profit” of the “people” of Nephi (2 Nephi 5:30).[2]

Here, again, we see concern for the Lamanites (“my brethren”).  Mormon prayed that one day the Lamanites will return to the knowledge of God and the redemption of Christ, and become a delightsome people.

Mormon, having given us some background, it now going to return back to the plates and continue his record.


[1] Lehi and Egypt, John S. Thompson, Maxwell Institute, accessed June 16, 2014.
[2] Why Nephi Wrote the Small Plates: The Political Dimension, John W. Welch, Maxwell Institute, accessed June 16, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment