Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Alma 10:1-11

Chapter 10

Lehi descended from Manasseh—Amulek recounts the angelic command that he care for Alma—The prayers of the righteous cause the people to be spared—Unrighteous lawyers and judges lay the foundation of the destruction of the people. About 82 B.C.

1 NOW these are the words which Amulek preached unto the people who were in the land of Ammonihah, saying:
2 I am Amulek; I am the son of Giddonah, who was the son of Ishmael, who was a descendant of Aminadi; and it was the same Aminadi who interpreted the writing which was upon the wall of the temple, which was written by the finger of God.
3 And Aminadi was a descendant of Nephi, who was the son of Lehi, who came out of the land of Jerusalem, who was a descendant of Manasseh, who was the son of Joseph who was sold into Egypt by the hands of his brethren.
4 And behold, I am also a man of no small reputation among all those who know me; yea, and behold, I have many kindreds and friends, and I have also acquired much riches by the hand of my industry.
5 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power.  I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
6 Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges.
7 As I was journeying to see a very near kindred, behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto me and said: Amulek, return to thine own house, for thou shalt feed a prophet of the Lord; yea, a holy man, who is a chosen man of God; for he has fasted many days because of the sins of this people, and he is an hungered, and thou shalt receive him into thy house and feed him, and he shall bless thee and thy house; and the blessing of the Lord shall rest upon thee and thy house.
8 And it came to pass that I obeyed the voice of the angel, and returned towards my house.  And as I was going thither I found the man whom the angel said unto me: Thou shalt receive into thy house—and behold it was this same man who has been speaking unto you concerning the things of God.
9 And the angel said unto me he is a holy man; wherefore I know he is a holy man because it was said by an angel of God.
10 And again, I know that the things whereof he hath testified are true; for behold I say unto you, that as the Lord liveth, even so has he sent his angel to make these things manifest unto me; and this he has done while this Alma hath dwelt at my house.
11 For behold, he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake.
Alma 10:1-11

As we begin chapter 10, it would be nice to remember the words of Elder H. David Burton as he describes Alma and Amulek.  “Alma and Amulek listened to the angel. They responded to the call to missionary service, and they preached repentance. They stood tall in the face of adversity and imprisonment. They are heroes whose lives are worthy of emulation.”[1]

Amulek steps up and takes over from Alma. 

Amulek begins by declaring his linage.  He is the son of Giddonah, the son of Ishmael and a descendant of Aminadi.  Aminadi is an unknown player in Nephite history.  This is the only time we hear of him.  We learn he saw “certain words seen on the wall of a Nephite temple had been ‘written by the finger of God.”’[2] We have no idea when or where this occurred. 

From Aminadi, his lineage is through Nephi and Lehi.  This means he was a descendant of Manasseh as well as Joseph.

Amulek was known to the people as Ammonihah.  He had a good reputation among his friends, relatives, and associates.  He has worked hard and become rich through his labors.[3]

Amulek wasn’t all that interested in things of a religious nature.  He never knew about the Lord and how he worked.  Paul could have been writing to Amulek when he wrote the Romans,  “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness [GR callousness] in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in” (Romans 11:25).

However, he made a mistake.  He had seen the power of God in the preservation of the Ammonihahites.  He was called by God many times, but had hardened his heart and did not hear him.  Alma had people like Amulek in mind when he said, “O ye workers of iniquity; ye that are puffed up in the vain things of the world, ye that have professed to have known the ways of righteousness nevertheless have gone astray, as sheep having no shepherd, notwithstanding a shepherd hath called after you and is still calling after you, but ye will not hearken unto his voice” (Alma 5:37).

He ignored the word of God and continued his rebellion.  “Nevertheless, thou hast seen great sorrow, for thou hast rejected me many times because of pride and the cares of the world” (D&C 39:9).  In his own way, he was like Saul.  “And he said, Who art thou, Lord?  And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks” (Acts 9:5).

Amulek was travelling to see a relative.  During his trip, he saw an angel.  He was told to return home.  He was to feed a prophet of the Lord who had been fasting for days. The Lord’s blessings would fall upon his house.

He returned home, and Alma arrived.  He recognized him as the holy man of God he was told to host.  He testified to people that Alma was a holy man because he received the testimony of an angel.[4]

Amulek next testified that an angel had told him that Alma was a holy man, and he swore with a solemn oath—"as the Lord liveth"—that Alma spoke the truth (Alma 10:9–10). The swearing of such an oath not only enhanced the seriousness of a witness's demeanor but also exposed him to divine punishment should the testimony be untrue.[5]

He further testified Alma had blessed his house, himself and my women[6], children, father and kinsfolk.


[1] Heroes, Elder H. David Burton, April 1993 General Conference.
[2]The Image of the Hand of God in the Book of Mormon and the Old Testament, David Rolph Seely, Maxwell Institute, accessed March 25, 2015.
[3] He would eventually lose everything because he choose to serve the Lord.  “And it came to pass that Alma and Amulek, Amulek having forsaken all his gold, and silver, and his precious things, which were in the land of Ammonihah, for the word of God, he being rejected by those who were once his friends and also by his father and his kindred” (Alma 15:16).
[4] King Benjamin also testified to the truthfulness of his words.  “And the things which I shall tell you are made known unto me by an angel from God.  And he said unto me: Awake; and I awoke, and behold he stood before me” (Mosiah 3:2).
[6] This probably refers to his wife and his mother/mother-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment