Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Alma 33:1-11

Alma finished his sermon on faith.  He was next questioned by the group.  First, they asked, should we believe in one God? The Book of Mormon makes it clear the answer is yes.  Nephi wrote, “And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God.  And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end.  Amen” (2 Nephi 31:21).  Abinadi taught, “would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people. And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son—The Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son—And they are one God, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth” (Mosiah 15:1-4).

They also questioned how they might obtain he fruit of which he spoke.  How should they plant the seed?  How should they exercise their faith?  These were all very good and important questions and they needed guidance.

Alma responded by reminding them they said they could not worship[1] in their synagogues.  But, if they believed they could only worship in a synagogue, they were wrong.  They should search the scriptures an understand them. “I say unto you, that there are not any among you, except it be your little children that have not been taught concerning these things, but what knoweth that ye are eternally indebted to your heavenly Father, to render to him all that you have and are; and also have been taught concerning the records which contain the prophecies which have been spoken by the holy prophets, even down to the time our father, Lehi, left Jerusalem” (Mosiah 2:34).

“It is interesting to note that usually education and ability play a part in class discrimination. However, when Alma addressed the Zoramite poor, he assumed they could read (see Alma 33:2–3, 12, 14). This is a revealing insight into both Zoramite and Nephite culture. Despite the fact that these people were poor and of the lowest social class, they were literate.”[2]

Alma then quotes Zenos.   We first learned of Zenos in 1 Nephi 19:10.  Nephi quotes Zenos as prophesying about events in Christ’s life.[3]  We have been promised the day will come when we will be given a translation of the brass plates.  “[T]he plates of brass will serve as a third witness to the Bible and also will testify that the Book of Mormon is a witness to the Bible. They will make known many of the plain and precious parts that had been lost from the Bible up to the time of Jeremiah (see 1 Nephi 13:26–29).”[4]

For he said:
Thou art merciful, O God,
for thou hast heard my prayer,
     even when I was in the wilderness;
yea, thou wast merciful when I prayed
     concerning those who were mine enemies,[5]
and thou didst turn them to me.
Yea, O God,
and thou wast merciful unto me
     when I did cry unto thee
          in my afield;[6]
      when I did cry unto thee
           in my prayer,
and thou didst hear me.
And again, O God,
when I did
     turn to my house
     thou didst hear me
          in my prayer.
And when I did turn
unto my closet,[7] O Lord,
     and prayed unto thee,
     thou didst hear me.
Yea, thou art merciful
     unto thy children
          when they cry unto thee,
          to be heard of thee
               and not of men,
          and thou wilt hear them.
Yea, O God,
thou hast been merciful unto me,
     and heard my cries in the midst
     of thy congregations.
Yea, and thou hast also heard me
when I have been cast out[8]
     and have been despised
          by mine enemies;
yea, thou didst hear
     my cries,
and wast angry
     with mine enemies,
and thou didst visit[9] them
     in thine anger
     with speedy destruction.
And thou didst hear me
      because of mine afflictions
      and my sincerity;
and it is because
     of thy Son
     that thou hast been
          thus merciful unto me,
therefore I will cry unto thee
     in all mine afflictions,
for in thee is my joy;
     for thou hast turned thy judgments
     away from me,
          because of thy Son.
Alma 33:4-11

“Alma explained to the poor Zoramites that though their outward appearance excluded them from worshipping inside the Zoramite synagogues, their inner humility allowed them to worship outside the confines of the synagogues they helped to build. He taught the poor that they could pray with great effectiveness in their fields, in their closets, in the midst of their congregations (i.e., in their synagogues), and when they were ‘cast out and [had] been despised by [their] enemies’ (Alma 33:10), as they had been because of their coarse apparel.”[10]

In researching for this post, I came across a story that was reminiscent of the Zoramites.  I share with you a short quote from the article, but I strongly recommend reading the entire article.  It’s seeing the Book of Mormon teachings in action.

During that time, I devoured the Book of Mormon as never before. As often as I could, I went home and read from the Book of Mormon with my family and partook of the sacrament in the comfort and safety of our home. We identified with the poorer class of the Zoramites who had been cast out of their synagogues “because of [their] exceeding poverty; and [they had] no place to worship [their] God” (Alma 32:5). We were comforted by the Spirit of the Lord and knew that, though we were cast out and despised by our enemies, the Lord heard our sincere cries in our afflictions (see Alma 33:10–11).[11]


[1] “And they came unto Alma; and the one who was the foremost among them said unto him: Behold, what shall these my brethren do, for they are despised of all men because of their poverty, yea, and more especially by our priests; for they have cast us out of our synagogues which we have labored abundantly to build with our own hands; and they have cast us out because of our exceeding poverty; and we have no place to worship our God; and behold, what shall we do?” (Alma 32:5).
[2] The Zoramite Separation: A Sociological Perspective, Sherrie Mills Johnson, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 14/1 (2005): 79.
[3] “And the God of our fathers, who were led out of Egypt, out of bondage, and also were preserved in the wilderness by him, yea, the God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, yieldeth himself, according to the words of the angel, as a man, into the hands of wicked men, to be lifted up, according to the words of Zenock, and to be crucified, according to the words of Neum, and to be buried in a sepulchre, according to the words of Zenos, which he spake concerning the three days of darkness, which should be a sign given of his death unto those who should inhabit the isles of the sea, more especially given unto those who are of the house of Israel” (1 Nephi 19:10).
[4] Other Ancient American Records Yet to Come Forth, Monte S. Nyman, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 10/1 (2001): 56.
[5] “But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you” (Matthew 5:44).
[6] “Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks” (Alma 34:20).
[7] “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.  Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly” (Matthew 6:5-6).
-------------------------
“But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness” (Alma 34:26).
[8] “And they came unto Alma; and the one who was the foremost among them said unto him: Behold, what shall these my brethren do, for they are despised of all men because of their poverty, yea, and more especially by our priests; for they have cast us out of our synagogues which we have labored abundantly to build with our own hands; and they have cast us out because of our exceeding poverty; and we have no place to worship our God; and behold, what shall we do?” (Alma 32:5).
[9] “Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly” (Psalms 3:7).
-------------------------
“He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me” (Psalms 18:17).
[10] The Zoramites and Costly Apparel: Symbolism and Irony, Parrish Brady and Shon Hopkin, Journal of the Book of Mormon and Other Restoration Scripture 22/1 (2013): 45.
[11] With Real Intent: A Priceless Gem, Andrew E. Dadson, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 12/1 (2003): 102.

No comments:

Post a Comment