Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Alma 38:6-15

Alma goes on to testify to Shiblon that he knows the things he teaches through the Spirt of God.  Had he not been born of God, he would not have known these things.  “But behold, my limbs did receive their strength again, and I stood upon my feet, and did manifest unto the people that I had been born of God … For because of the word which he has imparted unto me, behold, many have been born of God, and have tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God” (Alma 36:23, 26).

“And behold, whosoever believeth on my words, them will I visit with the manifestation of my Spirit; and they shall be born of me, even of water and of the Spirt” (D&C 5:16).

The Lord sent an angel to Alma.  And as I said unto you, as they were going about rebelling against God, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto them; and he descended as it were in a cloud; and he spake as it were with a voice of thunder, which caused the earth to shake upon which they stood … [H]e cried again, saying: Alma, arise and stand forth, for why persecutest thou the church of God?  For the Lord hath said: This is my church, and I will establish it; and nothing shall overthrow it, save it is the transgression of my people” (Mosiah 27:11, 13).

Alma was commanded to cease his work of destruction among the church.  “Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble. And thus did the Spirit of the Lord work upon them, for they were the very vilest of sinners.  And the Lord saw fit in his infinite mercy to spare them; nevertheless they suffered much anguish of soul because of their iniquities, suffering much and fearing that they should be cast off forever” (Mosiah 28:3-4).

“Who could have supposed that our God would have been so merciful as to have snatched us from our awful, sinful, and polluted state? Behold, we went forth even in wrath, with mighty threatenings to destroy his church” (Alma 26:17-18).

“For I went about with the sons of Mosiah, seeking to destroy the church of God; but behold, God sent his holy angel to stop us by the way” (Alma 36:6).

Alma experienced pain and anguish for three days and nights.  “And it came to pass that I fell to the earth; and it was for the space of three days and three nights that I could not open my mouth, neither had I the use of my limbs … And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul” (Alma 36:10, 16). He cried to the Lord, and found peace in his soul and a remission of his sins. 

Virtually every time remission of sins is described as having occurred in the Book of Mormon, it refers to a relatively well focused event (Enos 1:2, Mosiah 4:2-3, Alma 5:6-13. Alma 38:8. 3 Nephi 1:23.3 Nephi 7:25). Rather than being portrayed as a lifelong process completed only when one is perfect, remission of sins is almost always described as something which occurs at the outset of an individual’s acceptance of Christ/the Gospel (2 Nephi 3 1: 17-20) and which must be retained (Mosiah 4: 11-12.26; Alma 4: 14) during the long and gradual process of sanctification (Helaman 3:35, Alma 13: 10-12).[1]

He tells Shiblon his words were given him so that he would learn wisdom.  There is no other name by which we can be saved is that of Christ.

“Now Aaron began to open the scriptures unto them concerning the coming of Christ, and also concerning the resurrection of the dead, and that there could be no redemption for mankind save it were through the death and sufferings of Christ, and the atonement of his blood” (Alma 21:9).

“And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent” (Mosiah 3:17).

Christ is the light of the world.  He is truth and righteousness.  “THE LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalms 27:1).

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” (John 8:12).

“And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me.  I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me.  For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world” (Ether 4:12).

The word light is specifically linked throughout the scriptures to many words pertaining to “the light of the gospel” (D&C 138:30). Light is connected to or synonymous with life (John 8:12), joy (Alma 36:20), intelligence (D&C 93:36), truth (D&C 93:36–40), salvation (Psalm 27:1; Alma 26:15), knowledge (D&C 77:4), the glory of Zion (D&C 124:6), understanding and wisdom (Daniel 5:11, 14), law (3 Nephi 15:9), a standard for the nations (D&C 115:5), power (D&C 50:27), righteousness (Alma 38:9), and redemption (D&C 93:9).[2]

Alma told Shiblon to continue preaching the word of God.  Be diligent and temperate in all things. “And as [Paul] reasoned of righteousness, temperance [GR self-control], and judgment to come, Felix trembled [GR feared], and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee” (Acts 24:25).

“[T]he “man [or woman] of Christ” (Helaman 3:29) is spiritual and bridles all passions (see Alma 38:12), is temperate and restrained, and is benevolent and selfless. Men and women of Christ lay hold upon the word of God, deny themselves and take up His cross (see Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23; D&C 56:2), and press forward along a strait and narrow course of faithfulness, obedience, and devotion to the Savior and His gospel.”[3]

Be not lifted in pride nor boast in your own wisdom Shiblon was advised.

Shiblon was advised to speak with boldness, but not overbearance.  “And Ammon began to speak unto [King Lamoni] with boldness…” (Alma 18:24). Control his passions so he would be filled with love. 

“A SOFT answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger” (Proverbs 15:1).

“He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls” (Proverbs 25:28).

“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me” (Matthew 16:24).[4]

Don’t be idle. Don’t pray as the Zoramites.[5]

Remember you are to pray acknowledge your unworthiness.  The Savior gave us the same command. “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess [GR acquire, gain, or possess]. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted” (Luke 18:11-14).

He left the Lord’s blessing on his soul.  He closes with advice similar to what Peter gave us, “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8).


[2] Light: A Masterful Symbol, Richard Dilworth Rust, Journal of the Book of Mormon and Other Restoration, Scripture 20/1 (2011): 59.
[3] We Believe in Being Chaste, By Elder David A. Bednar, April 2013 General Conference.
[4] “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. And now for a man to take up his cross, is to deny himself all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, and keep my commandments(Joseph Smith Translation, Matthew 16:26).
[5] “Therefore, whosoever desired to worship must go forth and stand upon the top thereof, and stretch forth his hands towards heaven, and cry with a loud voice, saying: Holy, holy God; we believe that thou art God, and we believe that thou art holy, and that thou wast a spirit, and that thou art a spirit, and that thou wilt be a spirit forever. Holy God, we believe that thou hast separated us from our brethren; and we do not believe in the tradition of our brethren, which was handed down to them by the childishness of their fathers; but we believe that thou hast elected us to be thy holy children; and also thou hast made it known unto us that there shall be no Christ. But thou art the same yesterday, today, and forever; and thou hast elected us that we shall be saved, whilst all around us are elected to be cast by thy wrath down to hell; for the which holiness, O God, we thank thee; and we also thank thee that thou hast elected us, that we may not be led away after the foolish traditions of our brethren, which doth bind them down to a belief of Christ, which doth lead their hearts to wander far from thee, our God. And again we thank thee, O God, that we are a chosen and a holy people.  Amen. Now it came to pass that after Alma and his brethren and his sons had heard these prayers, they were astonished beyond all measure. For behold, every man did go forth and offer up these same prayers. Now the place was called by them Rameumptom, which, being interpreted, is the holy stand” (Alma 31:14-21).

No comments:

Post a Comment