Sunday, March 20, 2016

Helaman 10:1-10

Chapter 10

The Lord gives Nephi the sealing power—He is empowered to bind and loose on earth and in heaven—He commands the people to repent or perish—The Spirit carries him from congregation to congregation. About 21–20 B.C.

After finding the assassin of the chief judge, the people became divided over Nephi. Eventually they left, leaving Nephi alone. Nephi left and went home. All the while, he was pondering the things the Lord showed him. He was following the words of David. “Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation” (Psalms 5:1). “I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings” (Psalms 77:12). “I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways” (Psalms 119:15). “I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands” (Psalms 143:5).

The Lord has told us, “But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right” (D&C 9:8).

Joseph Smith and Sydney Rigdon received Section 76 after pondering on the Lord’s words. “And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened, and the glory of the Lord shone round about” (D&C 76:19).

Elder Richard G. Scott combines scripture and narration masterfully in a text about Nephi, son of Helaman. The flow from quotation to commentary is so natural and smooth that the reader is absorbed into the thought processes Elder Scott wishes to stimulate: “‘And it came to pass that Nephi went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown unto him’ (Helaman 10:2). As is characteristically the case, that pondering opened a channel of communication that brought additional understanding and truth to Nephi.”[1]

Nephi was pondering about the Nephites. He was saddened by their wickedness. He knew about their secret works, murders, and all manner of iniquities. He was in need of the Lord’s inspiration.

“Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day” (Psalms 25:5).

“And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make [HEB strengthen] fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not” (Isaiah 58:11).

“And now the spirit of [Alma1] was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God” (Mosiah 26:13).

While thus pondering, a voice came to him.

“Blessed[2] art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will,[3] and to keep my commandments.
“And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all[4] things shall be done unto thee according to thy word,[5] for thou shalt not[6] ask that which is contrary to my will.
“Behold, thou art Nephi, and I am God. Behold, I declare it unto thee in the presence of mine angels, that ye shall have power over this people, and shall smite the earth with famine, and with pestilence, and destruction, according to the wickedness of this people.
“Behold, I give unto you power, that whatsoever ye shall seal[7] on earth shall be sealed in heaven; and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven; and thus shall ye have power among this people.
“And behold, if ye shall say that God shall smite this people, it shall come to pass” (Helaman 10:4-10).




[1] Review of Heroes from the Book of Mormon (1995), by Deseret Book, Cristie B. Gardner, FARMS Review of Books 9/1 (1997): 12
[2] “And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome” (Acts 23:11).
[3] “And again, be patient in tribulation until I come; and, behold, I come quickly, and my reward is with me, and they who have sought me early shall find rest to their souls” (D&C 54:10).
[4] “And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you” (3 Nephi 18:20).

“Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
“Whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name it shall be given unto you, that is expedient for you;
“And if ye ask anything that is not expedient for you, it shall turn unto your condemnation” (D&C 88:63-65).
[5] “And it came to pass that after I had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith” (Enos 1:12).
[6] “Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh.  Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness.  Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God” (2 Nephi 4:35).
[7] “And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” (Matthew 16:19).

No comments:

Post a Comment