Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Enos 1:5-12


5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.
9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.
10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.
11 And after I, Enos, had heard these words, my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord; and I prayed unto him with many long strugglings for my brethren, the Lamanites.
12 And it came to pass that after I had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith.

Enos knew, when he was told he was forgiven of his sins, his “guilt was swept away.” He knew God could not lie.

“The fact that we can repent is the good news of the gospel! Guilt can be ‘swept away.’ We can be filled with joy, receive a remission of our sins, and have ‘peace of conscience.’ We can be freed from feelings of despair and the bondage of sin. We can be filled with the marvelous light of God and be “pained no more. Repentance is not only possible but also joyful because of our Savior. I still remember the feelings that washed over me in the branch president’s office after the firecracker episode. I knew I had been forgiven. My feelings of guilt vanished, my gloomy mood lifted, and my heart felt light.”[1]

He then asked how this could be done.

The Lord told him it was through his faith in Christ. He had faith even though he had never heard nor seen Him.

During His ministry, Christ emphasized the importance of faith. One example was the healing of the two blind men.

“And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us.
“And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord.
“Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.
“And their eyes were opened…” (Matthew 9:27-29).

Having been forgiven of his sins, he was concerned about the welfare of the Nephites. He then prayed for them.

“[L]ike Enos after receiving the forgiveness of his sins, we will feel the desire ourselves to sacrifice and to seek the well-being of our brothers and sisters. And we will be more willing every ‘one more day’ to follow the invitation that President Howard W. Hunter extended to us when he said: ‘Mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. … Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. … Speak your love and then speak it again.’”[2]

While he was still “struggling,” the Lord’s voice came into his mind again.

“So how can we recognize inspiration when it comes … The voice of the spirit of revelation is not necessarily audible, but it gives us divine confirmation through our thoughts and feelings. As we are told in the Doctrine and Covenants, ‘I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart (D&C 8:2).’ We must cultivate our sensitivity to that divine voice.”[3]
The Lord told him he would visit his people according to their diligence in keeping His commandments. He had given them this holy land based on their righteousness. “And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands” (1 Nephi 2:20).

Should they turn from His word, the land will be cursed because of their sins. “And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fulness of his wrath shall come upon them. And the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity” (Ether 2:9).

He will visit the people according to His words. Their transgressions will bring them sorrow. “Yea, and moreover I say unto you, that if this highly favored people of the Lord should fall into transgression, and become a wicked and an adulterous people, that the Lord will deliver them up, that thereby they become weak like unto their brethren; and he will no more preserve them by his matchless and marvelous power, as he has hitherto preserved our fathers” (Mosiah 1:13).

Having received the Lord’s promise concerning the Nephites. His faith “began to be unshaken in the Lord.” about the Nephites, Enos then prayed for “my brethren, the Lamanites.”

His answer came only after he “labored with all diligence.” Here, we learn an important truth from Enos. The Lord loves us and wants us to learn and be guided by Him in all things; however, they do not come easily. We cannot offer a quick prayer, asking the Lord for His help, and then forget about it. We must make an effort on our own part. The Lord expects us to give Him our be efforts. Remember the Lord’s words to Joseph Smith.

“Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
“But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
“But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me” (D&C 9:7-9).


[1] Repentance: A Joyful Choice, Elder Dale G. Renlund, October 2016 General Conference.
[2] One More Day, Elder Taylor G. Godoy, April 2018 General Conference.
[3] Did You Get the Right Message, President James E. Faust, October 2004 General Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment