Friday, March 9, 2012

Alma 5:43-52


43 And now, my brethren, I would that ye should hear me, for I speak in the energy of my soul; for behold, I have spoken unto you plainly that ye cannot err, or have spoken according to the commandments of God.  44 For I am called to speak after this manner, according to the holy order of God, which is in Christ Jesus; yea, I am commanded to stand and testify unto this people the things which have been spoken by our fathers concerning the things which are to come.  45 And this is not all.  Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself?  Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.  And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
Alma 5:43-45 (Emphasis mine)

Alma(2) reminds them that “I have spoken unto your plainly, that ye cannot err.”  That is why this sermon is so powerful – Alma(2)’s plain speaking.  He wants to ensure no one leaves wondering what his point was.  He wants them to understand clearly the problems, the sins, and the consequences of those sins.  No one hearing, or reading, Alma(2) can miss his meaning.

He reminds them that he speaks with authority.  He was given his authority by his father, the previous high priest.  “And it came to pass that Alma was appointed to be the first chief judge, he being also the high priest, his father having conferred the office upon him, and having given him the charge concerning all the affairs of the church” (Mosiah 29:42).

Then Alma(2) asks “How do you think I know these things?”  He tells them “I testify unto you that I know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.”  Why does he have confidence in his words?  He tells them…

46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.  And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me. 47 And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God. 48 I say unto you, that I know of myself that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth.  And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.
Alma 5:46-48 (Emphasis mine)

The truth was “made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.”  Paul reaffirmed the Lord reveals truths to “us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.  For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him?  even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

“Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.  Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual…

“For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him?  But we have the mind of Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:10-13, 16).

He testified he knew these things “according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God.”  He also testified that Christ would come “to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name.”

49 And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren, yea, and every one that dwelleth in the land; yea, to preach unto all, both old and young, both bond and free; yea, I say unto you the aged, and also the middle aged, and the rising generation; yea, to cry unto them that they must repent and be born again.  50 Yea, thus saith the Spirit: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand; yea, the Son of God cometh in his glory, in his might, majesty, power, and dominion.  Yea, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, that the Spirit saith: Behold the glory of the King of all the earth; and also the King of heaven shall very soon shine forth among all the children of men.

51 And also the Spirit saith unto me, yea, crieth unto me with a mighty voice, saying: Go forth and say unto this people—Repent, for except ye repent ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven.  52 And again I say unto you, the Spirit saith: Behold, the ax is laid at the root of the tree; therefore every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit shall be hewn down and cast into the fire, yea, a fire which cannot be consumed, even an unquenchable fire.  Behold, and remember, the Holy One hath spoken it.
Alma 5:49-52 (Emphasis mine)

Alma(2) reminds them that “I am called, yea, to preach unto” all the people and to call on them to “repent and be born again.”  The day is rapidly approaching when “the Son of God cometh in his glory.”  And, that day shall be soon.

If the people don’t repent, they “can in nowise inherit the kingdom of heaven.”  If they don’t repent, they are literally jeopardizing their eternal future. 

Once again, we have the warning “every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit shall be hewn down and cast into the fire, yea, a fire which cannot be consumed, even an unquenchable fire.”  The Savior told the Jews “the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire” (Luke 3:9). 

In the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees, we are warned “notwithstanding all the care which we have taken of my vineyard, the trees thereof have become corrupted, that they bring forth no good fruit; and these I had hoped to preserve, to have laid up fruit thereof against the season, unto mine own self.  But, behold, they have become like unto the wild olive-tree, and they are of no worth but to be hewn down and cast into the fire; and it grieveth me that I should lose them” (Jacob 5:46).

Jacob asked the people “after ye have been nourished by the good word of God all the day long, will ye bring forth evil fruit, that ye must be hewn down and cast into the fire?” (Jacob 6:7).

The Lord has cared for his vineyard, but some trees “have become corrupt.”  Even though “it grieveth me that I should lose them,” the trees will be cut down and burned.

Alma(2) reminds the people they have received the truth of the gospel.  If they turn away and commit sin, they will be cast off at the last day.  They will join their master, the devil, in hell.

Plain words from a great prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment