Wednesday, January 16, 2013

1 Nephi 6:1-6


Chapter 6

Nephi writes of the things of God—His purpose is to persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham and be saved. About 600–592 B.C.

Nephi discontinues his narrative at this point.  He explains the purpose of this record.  Remember, Nephi is writing this record between 30 and 40 years after they left Jerusalem (see 2 Nephi 5:28, 34).  He has had time to ponder the events that occurred earlier in his life.  He sees them through the eyes of one who has suffered much, but has also been blessed by the Lord.

Here is his first reference to records other than this and the brass plates.  He informs us he does not give us the genealogy of Lehi in this record and he will not at any time in the future. Nephi would later explain that “upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass.  For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children” (2 Nephi 4:15). 

Almost in passing, Nephi reminds us they are descendants of Joseph.  Reading the record, there are times when Nephi seems to identify with Joseph.  He is the righteous younger brother.  His older brothers don’t like him and want to kill him.  Eventually, Nephi saves the family and brings them to the promised land. 

In case we might fail to make the Nephi-Joseph connection on our own, Nephi mentioned in three places that Joseph was their ancestor. One place he even reviewed the story for our benefit: "That Joseph who was the son of Jacob, who was sold into Egypt, and who was preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he might preserve his father, Jacob, and all his household from perishing with famine" (1 Nephi 5:14; see 1 Nephi 6:2; 2 Nephi 3:4). Nephi stressed their lineage even though he wrote that he did not want to use precious space on the plates with genealogy.[1]

Nephi then explains that these plates will not contain a full account of what happened.  He is using the plates that he “may write of the things of God” (1 Nephi 6:3).  The purpose of the plates would be emphasized when they were passed on. 

And I, Jacob, saw that I must soon go down to my grave; wherefore, I said unto my son Enos: Take these plates.  And I told him the things which my brother Nephi had commanded me, and he promised obedience unto the commands.  And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words.
Jacob 7:27

And as these plates are small, and as these things are written for the intent of the benefit of our brethren the Lamanites, wherefore, it must needs be that I write a little; but I shall not write the things of my prophesying, nor of my revelations.  For what could I write more than my fathers have written?  For have not they revealed the plan of salvation?  I say unto you, Yea; and this sufficeth me.
Jarom 1:2

And I, Jarom, do not write more, for the plates are small.  But behold, my brethren, ye can go to the bother plates of Nephi; for behold, upon them the records of our wars are engraven, according to the writings of the kings, or those which they caused to be written.
Jarom 1:14

BEHOLD, it came to pass that I, Omni, being commanded by my father, Jarom, that I should write somewhat upon these plates, to preserve our genealogy—
Omni 1:1

And behold, the record of this people is engraven upon plates which is had by the kings, according to the generations; and I [Abinadom] know of no revelation save that which has been written, neither prophecy; wherefore, that which is sufficient is written.  And I make an end.
Omni 1:11

And I, Amaleki … am about to lie down in my grave; and these plates are full.  And I make an end of my speaking.
Omni 1:30

The purpose of the plates are to “persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved” (1 Nephi 6:4).  John’s Gospel would serve much the same purpose.  “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name” (John 20:30 - 31).

The things which are pleasing to the world will not be included in this work.  Nephi will write the things which are pleasing to God.  “The primary and original aim of keeping those records which make up the Book of Mormon was to preserve the religious tradition of the righteous few who down through the centuries have heeded God's word and been guided by his prophets.”[2] (Emphasis in original)

Paul would explain that, “I now persuade [GR appease, aspire to the favor of.; JST Gal. 1:10 ... please men...] men, or God?  or do I seek to please men?  for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ” (Galatians 1:10).

Nephi then gives a “commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men” (1 Nephi 6:6).  We have seen this commandment was passed on to future generations until the plates were filled (Omni 1:30).

The Book of Mormon teaches the value of writing to please God. After Nephi read the account of his ancestors, he prepared to make his contribution to the record. His motive was not self-serving, secular, or sensational; his intent was to "write the things of God" and to persuade readers to come unto Christ (1 Nephi 6:3–4). Nephi deliberately excluded worthless things "which are pleasing unto the world" so that he had room on the plates to write priceless things "which are pleasing unto God" (1 Nephi 6:5–6).[3]


[1] Nephi's Political Testament, Noel B. Reynolds, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed January 16, 2013.
[2] Churches in the Wilderness, Hugh W. Nibley, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed January 16, 2013.
[3] Beauty on the Mountains: Inspiration from the Book of Mormon for LDS Writers, Cynthia L. Hallen, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, January 16, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment