Thursday, January 31, 2013

1 Nephi 9:1-6


For the first time in his record, Nephi mentions another set of plates.  He tells us many things had occurred, “thing which cannot be written upon these plates” (1 Nephi 9:1). 

He tells us about his plates.  Upon the other set of plates, Nephi makes “a full account of my people … called the plates of Nephi” (1 Nephi 9:2).  He also calls the account from the plates on which he was writing the plates of Nephi. These will later be referred to as the small plates of Nephi.

Jacob mentions the two sets of plates.  1”And a hundredth part of the proceedings of this people, which now began to be numerous, cannot be written upon these plates [the small plates]; but many of their proceedings are written upon the larger plates, and their wars, and their contentions, and the reigns of their kings” (Jacob 3:13). 

Mormon would comment,

And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the [large] plates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi.
Words of Mormon 1:3

Nephi was commanded to make this second set of plates, “for the special purpose that there should be an account engraven of the ministry of my people” (1 Nephi 9:3).  What was that “special purpose?”  “[F]or this very purpose [Martin Harris’s loss of the 116 pages] are these plates preserved, which contain these records—that the promises of the Lord might be fulfilled, which he made to his people” (D&C 3:19).

The large plates would contain “an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people” (1 Nephi 9:4).  The small plates “are for the more part [a record] of [my] ministry” (1 Nephi 9:4). 

Jacob would describe Nephi’s instructions.

And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I considered to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi.
For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates, and that I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation.
And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people.
Jacob 1:2 - 4

Nephi’s great-grandson, Jarom, would write:

And I, Jarom, do not write more, for the plates are small.  But behold, my brethren, ye can go to the other plates of Nephi; for behold, upon them the records of our wars are engraven, according to the writings of the kings, or those which they caused to be written.
Jarom 1:14

Nephi was exercising great faith in creating a second record.  He is doing this “for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not” (1 Nephi 9:5).  But he has faith in the Lord, that he knows all things and he prepares a way for them to be done. 

Someday we will receive the record Harris lost as well as the record of Lehi.  This is an exciting thought.  We’ve been blessed with Nephi’s powerful and spiritual account on the small plates.  We can be grateful to the Lord for this blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment