Saturday, April 20, 2013

1 Nephi 19:1-5


Chapter 19

Nephi makes plates of ore and records the history of his people—The God of Israel shall come six hundred years from the time Lehi left Jerusalem—Nephi tells of His sufferings and crucifixion—The Jews shall be despised and scattered until the latter days, when they shall return unto the Lord. About 588–570 B.C.

For the third (but not the last) time, Nephi explains that the record we are reading is a record because he was commanded to do so by the Lord.  Describing this record, Jacob would write:

And it came to pass that I, Jacob, began to be old; and the record of this people being kept on the other plates of Nephi, wherefore, I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream, we being a lonesome and a solemn people, wanderers, cast out from Jerusalem, born in tribulation, in a wilderness, and hated of our brethren, which caused wars and contentions; wherefore, we did mourn out our days.
Jacob 7:26

John Welch explains more about what would be called the small plates of Nephi.

Nephi wrote his small plates soon after important events such as Lehi’s death, Nephi’s separation from his rebellious brothers, and the establishment of the reign of kings (see last month's research update). Recognizing when he wrote, we can better appreciate not only Nephi's s stated reasons for writing the small plates but also subtle underlying motivations behind his inspired selection and treatment of this material.

We can assume that Nephi wrote his second account (the small plates) for many good reasons and from a particular vantage point. Although the large plates contained the prophecies of Lehi and Nephi (see 1 Nephi 19:1), that earlier record nevertheless must have been insufficient in certain respects, thus warranting the construction of an entirely new set of plates and the rewriting of the basic story. [1]

He did not expect this command from the Lord.  He would write, “I knew not at the time when I made [the large plates of Nephi] that I should be commanded of the Lord to make these plates” (1 Nephi 19:2).

Later in this record, Nephi would explain:

And thirty years had passed away from the time we left Jerusalem [569 B.C.].
And I, Nephi, had kept the records upon my plates, which I had made, of my people thus far.
And it came to pass that the Lord God said unto me: Make other plates; and thou shalt engraven many things upon them which are good in my sight, for the profit of thy people.
Wherefore, I, Nephi, to be obedient to the commandments of the Lord, went and made these plates upon which I have engraven these things.
And I engraved that which is pleasing unto God.  And if my people are pleased with the things of God they will be pleased with mine engravings which are upon these plates.
And if my people desire to know the more particular part of the history of my people they must search mine other plates.
2 Nephi 5:28 - 33

The large plates contained a record of Lehi, a family genealogy, and a more detailed account of what occurred during the trip in the wilderness.  They contained a record of all that occurred before Nephi made this record. 















Nephi made these plates after being commanded by the Lord.  On these plates, he writes about “the ministry and the prophecies, the more plain and precious parts of them, should be written upon these plates” (1 Nephi 19:3).    The information of the plates was to be for the instruction of the people. 

Nephi also demonstrates his great faith and trust in the Lord.  Telling us he was commanded to make this record, he writes they are “for other wise purposes, which purposes are known unto the Lord” but not known by Nephi (1 Nephi 19:3).  Jacob would share with us Nephi’s charge given to him.   

FOR behold, it came to pass that fifty and five years had passed away from the time that Lehi left Jerusalem [544 B.C.]; wherefore, Nephi gave me, Jacob, a commandment concerning the small plates, upon which these things are engraven.
And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I considered to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi.
For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates, and that I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation.
And if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people.
Jacob 1:1 - 4

Mormon would write about his discovery of the small plates.

And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the plates of Nephi, down to the reign of this king Benjamin, of whom Amaleki spake, I searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi.
And the things which are upon these plates pleasing me, because of the prophecies of the coming of Christ; and my fathers knowing that many of them have been fulfilled; yea, and I also know that as many things as have been prophesied concerning us down to this day have been fulfilled, and as many as go beyond this day must surely come to pass—
Wherefore, I chose these things, to finish my record upon them, which remainder of my record I shall take from the plates of Nephi; and I cannot write the hundredth part of the things of my people.
But behold, I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren.
And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me.  And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will.
Words of Mormon 1:3 - 7

Here again is a story of faith.  Like Nephi, Mormon was commanded to append these plates to his record.  He would not abridge these records.  This is not surprising because Mormon tells us “the things which are upon these plates pleasing me” (Words of Mormon 1:4). 

Today, we know why the Lord commanded the plates be made.  I will recount the story of Martin Harris and the lost 116 pages of manuscript in the next post.


[1] Why Nephi Wrote the Small Plates: Serving Practical Needs, John W. Welch, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed April 20, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment