Thursday, July 25, 2013

2 Nephi 4:15-27

The tone of Nephi’s record suddenly changes after the death of Lehi and ongoing problems with Laman, Lemuel, and the rest of the usual suspects. 

Nephi writes what is one of the most powerful, spiritual, and beautiful psalms in the scriptures.  This is one of the few times Nephi opens up and lets us see Nephi the man instead of Nephi the narrator, author, and teacher/preacher. 

The passion and poetry of 2 Nephi 4:16–35 cannot help but move even the most casual reader of the Book of Mormon. These verses record one of the most powerful personal testimonies ever revealed in scripture with a tone of prophetic poetry that rivals David, Isaiah, or Luke. In his 1947 monograph Our Book of Mormon, Sidney Sperry christened this passage "The Psalm of Nephi," and it has carried that epithet ever since. Sperry recognized in this passage the praise and "deep religious feeling" common to many psalms and noted within its literary structure a rhythm "comparable to the noble cadence of David's poems."1   [1]

When was this written?  Many Book of Mormon scholars believe it was written after Lehi’s death and his family problems.  If so, this means Nephi wrote this almost 20 years after they arrived in the Promised Land. 

Nephi did not begin the small plates until roughly 30 years after they arrived (see 2 Nephi 5:28-29).  If he wrote this as he was writing the records found on the small plates, he had 30 years to contemplate the events that had occurred.

Nephi begins by telling us what he writes on these plates are “the things of his soul” (2 Nephi 4:15).  What are the things of his soul?  “[M]y soul delighteth in the scriptures” (2 Nephi 4:15).  What he writes he writes for “the learning and the profit of my children” (2 Nephi 4:15). 

16 Behold, my soul delighteth in
    the things of the Lord;
    and my heart pondereth
    continually upon the things
which I have seen and heard.
                                                      (2 Nephi 4:16)

Nephi grieves because of his sins. 

17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding
the great goodness of the Lord,
      in showing me his great and marvelous works,
      my heart exclaimeth:
O wretched man that I am! 
      Yea, my heart sorroweth
because of my flesh;
       my soul grieveth
because of mine iniquities.
18 I am encompassed about,
     because of the temptations
     and the sins
which do so easily beset me.
19 And when I desire
     to rejoice,
     my heart groaneth
because of my sins;
     nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
                                                                          (2 Nephi 4:15 - 19)

Nephi writes about the great and wonderful things the Lord has done for him.

21 He hath filled me with his love,
      even unto the consuming of my flesh.
22 He hath confounded mine enemies,
      unto the causing of them
to quake before me.
23 Behold, he hath heard
      my cry by day,
      and he hath given me knowledge
      by visions in the night–time.
24 And by day
      have I waxed bold in mighty prayer
before him;
      yea, my voice
      have I sent up on high;
      and angels came down
      and ministered unto me.
25 And upon the wings of his Spirit
     hath my body been carried away
upon exceedingly high mountains. 
     And mine eyes have beheld
great things,
     yea, even too great for man;
     therefore I was bidden
     that I should not write them.
                                                                                  (2 Nephi 4:21 - 25)

Nephi further wrote in his psalm of how "the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men hath visited men in so much mercy" (2 Nephi 4:26). Nephi also used the word "condescension" in his description of his vision (see 1 Nephi 11:16, 26). He tied the condescension, symbolized by the tree, to "the love of God" (1 Nephi 11:22), and in his psalm he noted that "He hath filled me with his love" (2 Nephi 4:21). The fact that Nephi employed the word "condescension" only in describing the vision and in his psalm—and nowhere else—again suggests that when he wrote the psalm he had the vision in mind.[2]

Nephi asks why?

26  O then,
          if I have seen so great things,
          if the Lord in his condescension unto the children of men
   hath visited men
   in so much mercy,
     why should my heart weep
     and my soul linger
in the valley of sorrow,
     and my flesh waste away,
     and my strength slacken,
because of mine afflictions?
27  And why should I yield to sin,
because of my flesh? 
      Yea, why should I give way to temptations,
that the evil one
   have place in my heart
   to destroy my peace
   and afflict my soul? 
     Why am I angry
      because of mine enemy?
                                          (2 Nephi 4:21 - 27)

Nephi tells he has found “the answer to the questions ‘Who are the bad guys? Where is the real enemy?’ In himself. It is his own weakness that makes him frustrated and angry, he says. Why should he take it out on others? (2 Nephi 4:26—35).”[3]

The question has been asked, “What was Nephi’s sin?”  Matthew Nickerson answers:

Some writers have identified anger as the specific sin which "so easily beset" him.16 Their conclusions are based on 2 Nephi 4:27 where Nephi asks, "Why am I angry because of mine enemy"? My own reading of this passage leaves the exact nature of Nephi’s sin in question. The sentence quoted above is only the last in a series of self-reflective questions Nephi poses concerning the effects of his transgression.[4]


[1] Nephi's Psalm: 2 Nephi 4:16–35 in the Light of Form-Critical Analysis, Matthew Nickerson, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 25, 2013.
[2] Reflections of Nephi's Vision in His Psalm, John A. Tvedtnes, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 25, 2013.
[3] Last Call: An Apocalyptic Warning from the Book of Mormon, Hugh Nibley, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 25, 2013.
[4] Nephi's Psalm: 2 Nephi 4:16–35 in the Light of Form-Critical Analysis, Matthew Nickerson, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 25, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment