Saturday, July 27, 2013

2 Nephi 4:28-35

We continue the Psalm of Nephi.

Nephi rejoices in the Lord.

28 Awake, my soul! 
No longer droop in sin. 
      Rejoice, O my heart,
      and give place no more
for the enemy of my soul.
29 Do not anger again
because of mine enemies. 
     Do not slacken my strength
because of mine afflictions.
30 Rejoice, O my heart,
and cry unto the Lord, and say:
     O Lord,
I will praise thee forever;
yea, my soul
     will rejoice in thee,
     my God,
and the rock of my salvation.
                                                      (2 Nephi 4:28 - 30)

Having anguished over his sins, Nephi then rejoices in the Lord.  Matthew Nickerson observes:

Anger is one of the negative effects of sin listed along with several others: remorse, sorrow, ill health, moral weakness, agitation, and waning strength. To single out anger as [Nephi’s sin] seems unwarranted. Anger concludes the list but is not set apart nor made more prominent than any other in the list. Answering his own questions, Nephi expresses trust in the Lord's redemptive powers. He is confident that the Lord's mercies are sufficient to save him from these distressing symptoms of sin…

As described earlier, omitting the specifics of the Psalmist's transgression is an important characteristic of classic individual laments and one I believe that Nephi adheres to. This is a good example of how recognizing the poetic form as it appears in the Book of Mormon can aid our understanding of these passages.[1]

He tells himself to be angry no longer because of his enemies.  Who are his enemies?  John S. Tanner writes:

Before Lehi's death, Nephi had foreseen in revelation the tragic division between Lamanites and Nephites (see 1 Nephi 12:22-23). When Lehi died, Nephi must have known that the long-dreaded crisis was now both inevitable and near. With no father to turn to but his Heavenly Father, Nephi cries for strength: so lonely is his new burden of leadership, so dangerous his enemies, and so strong the temptation to be angry "because of [his] enemies" (2 Nephi 4:29)—meaning, I suppose, his brothers.[2]

He cries out to the Lord, praising Him forever.  He will rejoice in the Lord, “the rock of my salvation” (2 Nephi 4:30).

Nephi asks the Lord for redemption and asks Him to watch over him.

31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? 
     Wilt thou deliver me
out of the hands
of mine enemies? 
     Wilt thou make me
that I may shake
     at the appearance of sin?
32 May the gates of hell
be shut continually
     before me,
because that my heart
     is broken
and my spirit
     is contrite! 
     O Lord,
wilt thou not shut
     the gates of thy righteousness
          before me,
that I may walk
     in the path
     of the low valley,
that I may be strict
     in the plain road!
                                        (2 Nephi 4::31 – 32)

Nephi asks the Lord to redeem his soul and deliver him from his enemies.  He asked Him that he would “shake at the appearance of sin” (2 Nephi 4:31).

He was approaching the Lord with a broken heart and contrite spirit.  He asks Him to open the gates of righteousness and walk in the correct path. 

33 O Lord,
wilt thou
encircle me around
     in the robe
of thy righteousness! 
     O Lord,
wilt thou
make a way
     for mine escape
     before mine enemies! 
Wilt thou
     make my path straight
before me! 
Wilt thou
     not place
a stumbling block
in my way—
but that thou wouldst
     clear my way
     before me,
     and hedge not
up my way,
but the ways
     of mine enemy.
34 O Lord,  
     I have trusted in thee,
     and I will trust
in thee forever. 
     I will not put
     my trust
in the arm of flesh;
     for I know
that cursed is he
that putteth his trust
     in the arm of flesh. 
     Yea, cursed is he
that putteth his trust
in man or
     maketh flesh his arm.
                                                (2 Nephi 4:33 - 34)

Nephi asks the Lord to encircle him in a robe of righteousness.  Richard Rust looks at how the word “encircle” is used in the Book of Mormon.

Heaven and hell both encircle. Lehi declares to his family, "I am encircled about eternally in the arms of [the Lord's] love" (2 Nephi 1:15); Nephi pleads for the Lord to "encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness" (2 Nephi 4:33); and Amulek teaches that mercy "encircles [the penitent] in the arms of safety" (Alma 34:16). Conversely, before being spiritually delivered, the fathers "were encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell" (Alma 5:7); Zeezrom is "encircled about by the pains of hell" (Alma 14:6); and Ammon testifies that his Lamanite brethren were formerly "encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction" (Alma 26:15). These are part of the larger Book of Mormon circles that either save or damn.

Put another way, humanity, the Book of Mormon says, is either encircled and lifted up through mercy or encircled by chains and brought down to hell. This movement, rising and falling, or ascent and descent, develops a way to see the book as a whole as the story of mankind's journey through life, fall, and redemption.[3]

He asks the Lord for a straight path to escape from his enemies.  As with “encircled,” straight has different meanings in the Book of Mormon.  John Welch explains:

Straight can mean more than "in a straight line." It can mean "direct." In fact, that is a good meaning as applied to define course or path. Nephi's poetic prayer for redemption in 2 Nephi 4:33 includes the plea "Wilt thou make my path straight." This is one of a number of scriptural images of the path (course) to salvation (eternal bliss, promised land, the way to the keeper of the gate) being a straight (direct) route (see also 2 Nephi 9:41; Alma 37:44). When a mother says, "After school, you come straight home," it means by either the shortest, quickest, safest, or easiest route, as the child has been given to understand. In the case of directions given by the Liahona (see Alma 37:44), a straight or direct course probably connoted "expeditious" or "best." Thus we should be open to more possibilities than one might ordinarily think of.[4]

Nephi has put his trust in the Lord and will do so forever.  He refuses to put his trust in the arm of flesh because “cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh … cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm” (2 Nephi 4:34).

Hugh Nibley writes:

The great man in his old age still speaks the language of the desert: "I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road" (2 Nephi 4:32—33) is the purest Bedouin talk for "May I stick to thewady and not get off the clearly marked mainline that everyone follows!" One hears the echo of innumerable old desert inscriptions in his prayer: "O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy" (2 Nephi 4:33). The immemorial desert custom which required a sheikh to place the edge of his robe (kuffah) over the back of anyone seeking his protection is clearly recalled in Nephi's cry: "O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness!" (2 Nephi 4:33).[5]

Nephi ends his Psalm.

35 Yea, I know that God
will give liberally to him
     that asketh. 
     Yea, my God will give me,
if I ask not amiss;
     therefore I will lift up my voice
unto thee;
      yea, I will cry
unto thee,
     my God,
the rock of my righteousness. 
     Behold, my voice shall
     forever ascend up
unto thee,
my rock
     and mine everlasting God. 
     Amen.
             (2 Nephi 4:35)

I close with an observation from Richard Rust.

The power of Nephi's words is most apparent when the passage is read aloud and also when it is recognized as poetry with its primary appeal to feeling.8 I discovered this quality through my own experience: when my family and I read the Book of Mormon together each morning, I recognized the intense nature of passages such as Nephi's psalm. Later, when I searched the Book of Mormon for its poetry, I better understood why I was responding with my feelings to these passages.[6] 


[1] Nephi's Psalm: 2 Nephi 4:16–35 in the Light of Form-Critical Analysis, Matthew Nickerson, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.
[2] Jacob and His Descendants as Authors, John S. Tanner, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.
[3] "At the Judgment-Seat of Christ" - Larger Perspectives, Richard Dilworth Rust, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.
[4] Straight (Not Strait) and Narrow, John S. Welch, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.
[5] Lehi and the Arabs, Hugh Nibley, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.
[6] "To Come Forth in Due Time" – Introduction. Richard Dilworth Rust, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed July 27, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment