Wednesday, October 16, 2013

2 Nephi 25:9-11

Nephi tells us that more than one generation of the Jews has been destroyed because of their iniquities.  Shortly before His crucifixion, the Savior said, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered [GR have I desired to gather] thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!” (Matthew 23:37). 

Hugh Nibley explains further. 

When the Chosen People do wickedly, according to a doctrine often stated in the Talmud, all nature suffers, and to save the world and restore the balance of good and evil, God destroys the old generation and raises up a new people in righteousness. Lehi's people were neither the first nor the last to be led into the wilderness to escape the wrath to come.[1]

Lehi’s party left Jerusalem, having been warned by the Lord to flee because it was to be destroyed.  The Lord had revealed to Lehi that Jerusalem had been destroyed shortly before his death.  The people of Nephi were reminded of this.  For example, shortly after the family separated, Jacob reminded them that “the Lord has shown me that those who were at Jerusalem, from whence we came, have been slain and carried away captive” (2 Nephi 6:8).

Nearly 600 hundred years late, Nephi2 would remind the Nephites:

And behold, also Zenock, and also Ezias, and also Isaiah, and Jeremiah, (Jeremiah being that same prophet who testified of the destruction of Jerusalem) and now we know that Jerusalem was destroyed according to the words of Jeremiah.  O then why not the Son of God come, according to his prophecy?
And now will you dispute that Jerusalem was destroyed?  Will ye say that the sons of Zedekiah were not slain, all except it were Mulek?  Yea, and do ye not behold that the seed of Zedekiah are with us, and they were driven out of the land of Jerusalem? 
Helaman 8:20 - 21

Even though Jerusalem had been destroyed and the Jews carried away a captive, the Lord will again return them to the land of their inheritance.  After prophesying of their destruction, Jeremiah had prophesied of their return.

Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans for their good.
For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.
And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.
Jeremiah 24:5 – 7


[1] The Flight into the Wilderness, Hugh W. Nibley, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, accessed October 15, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment