Friday, February 7, 2014

2 Nephi 33:1-3

Chapter 33

Nephi's words are true—They testify of Christ—Those who believe in Christ will believe Nephi's words—They shall stand as a witness before the judgment bar. About 559–545 B.C.

AND now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.
But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people.  For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.
2 Nephi 33:1-3

Nephi is finishing his account on the small plates.  He tells us he cannot write all things that were taught.  The reason is that he is not “mighty in writing like unto speaking” (2 Nephi 33:1).  Nephi believes he is unable to convey the power of his words when writing.  I have found Nephi’s words in the Book of Mormon very powerful and packed with the Spirit.  If his words did not compare with his preaching, I am saddened we did not have the opportunity to hear his words.

Moroni2 felt much the same way as Nephi.  In his abridgement of the book of Ether, he writes:

And I said unto him: Lord, the Gentiles will mock at these things, because of our weakness in writing; for Lord thou hast made us mighty in word by faith, but thou hast not made us mighty in writing; for thou hast made all this people that they could speak much, because of the Holy Ghost which thou hast given them;
And thou hast made us that we could write but little, because of the awkwardness of our hands.  Behold, thou hast not made us mighty in writing like unto the brother of Jared, for thou madest him that the things which he wrote were mighty even as thou art, unto the overpowering of man to read them.
Thou hast also made our words powerful and great, even that we cannot write them; wherefore, when we write we behold our weakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall mock at our words.
And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
Ether 12:23-27

Many will harden their hearts against the word of God.  In fact, they will “cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught” (2 Nephi 33:2).  Early in his record, Nephi wrote, “For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught and trample under their feet.  Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words—they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels” (1 Nephi 19:7).

We see this today.  There are those who have made a profession out of attacking and attempting to discredit the Book of Mormon and the Church.  Numerous people, never having read the Book of Mormon let alone study it, reject it out of hand.  These are the people who “cast things away which are written” and “set at naught and trample under their feet.” 

We are blessed in this day to have prophets who speak for the Lord and offer us guidance in our lives.  We have scripture written specifically with us in mind.  We are fortunate to enjoy the great and powerful love of the Lord.

Nephi values his words of great worth, especially for his people.  He prays continually for them “by day and mine eyes water my pillow by night” (2 Nephi 33:3).  David wrote similar words.  “I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears” (Psalms 6:6).  Mormon’s words also echo Nephi’s.  “And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people” (Words of Mormon 1:8).


No comments:

Post a Comment