Saturday, February 22, 2014

Jacob 2:1-5

Chapter 2

Jacob denounces the love of riches, pride, and unchastity—Men should seek riches to help their fellow men—Jacob condemns the unauthorized practice of plural marriage—The Lord delights in the chastity of women. About 544–421 B.C.

1 THE words which Jacob, the brother of Nephi, spake unto the people of Nephi, after the death of Nephi:
2 Now, my beloved brethren, I, Jacob, according to the responsibility which I am under to God, to magnify mine office with soberness, and that I might rid my garments of your sins, I come up into the temple this day that I might declare unto you the word of God.
3 And ye yourselves know that I have hitherto been diligent in the office of my calling; but I this day am weighed down with much more desire and anxiety for the welfare of your souls than I have hitherto been.
4 For behold, as yet, ye have been obedient unto the word of the Lord, which I have given unto you.
5 But behold, hearken ye unto me, and know that by the help of the all–powerful Creator of heaven and earth I can tell you concerning your thoughts, how that ye are beginning to labor in sin, which sin appeareth very abominable unto me, yea, and abominable unto God.
Jacob 2:1-5

After his introductory words in Chapter 1, Jacob now shifts to the words he spoke to the Nephites.

Having been consecrated as a priest, Jacob is fulfilling his calling and magnifying his office by speaking to the people.  He tells them he is speaking with soberness “that I might rid my garments of your sins.”

Jacob reminds them of his diligence in fulfilling his calling.  He is weighed down and suffering from anxiety for the souls of his people.

This wording was very similar to the wording in his previous sermon to the Nephites.  “Nevertheless, I speak unto you again; for I am desirous for the welfare of your souls.  Yea, mine anxiety is great for you; and ye yourselves know that it ever has been.  For I have exhorted you with all diligence; and I have taught you the words of my father; and I have spoken unto you concerning all things which are written, from the creation of the world” (2 Nephi 6:3).

This wording is vintage Jacob.  More than any other author or speaker in the Book of Mormon, he uses words about feelings.[1] 

Jacob is there to tell them “concerning your thoughts.”  They are beginning to sin, a sin that was abominable to Jacob as well as God.

Alma2 and Amulek were able to know the thoughts of Zeezrom.  “Now Zeezrom, seeing that thou hast been taken in thy lying and craftiness, for thou hast not lied unto men only but thou hast lied unto God; for behold, he knows all thy thoughts, and thou seest that thy thoughts are made known unto us by his Spirit” (Alma 12:3).

The Lord revealed to Joseph and Oliver Cowdery, “Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart” (D&C 6:16).

It is not unusual that Jacob would preach to the people from the Nephite temple.

Most certainly the temple of Nephi was used as a place of instruction, as were all typical temples of the ancient Near East … Likewise, Jacob taught his people "in the temple" (Jacob 1:17) … that they might hear "the word of God" (Jacob 2:11, 23) and "fear" for their eternal welfare (Jacob 3:8–11). In that speech Jacob revealed to the people their innermost thoughts and the wickedness of their hearts (see Jacob 2:5–6)…[2]


[1] Jacob and His Descendants as Authors, John S. Tanner, Maxwell Institute, accessed February 22, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment