Saturday, December 13, 2014

Mosiah 26:13-29


13 And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.
14 And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him, saying:
15 Blessed art thou, Alma, and blessed are they who were baptized in the waters of Mormon.  Thou art blessed because of thy exceeding faith in the words alone of my servant Abinadi.
16 And blessed are they because of their exceeding faith in the words alone which thou hast spoken unto them.
17 And blessed art thou because thou hast established a church among this people; and they shall be established, and they shall be my people.
18 Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.
19 And because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed.
20 Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.
21 And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.
22 For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance.  And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive.
23 For it is I that taketh upon me the sins of the world; for it is I that hath created them; and it is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand.
24 For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me they shall come forth, and shall have a place eternally at my right hand.
25 And it shall come to pass that when the second trump shall sound then shall they that never knew me come forth and shall stand before me.
26 And then shall they know that I am the Lord their God, that I am their Redeemer; but they would not be redeemed.
27 And then I will confess unto them that I never knew them; and they shall depart into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
28 Therefore I say unto you, that he that will not hear my voice, the same shall ye not receive into my church, for him I will not receive at the last day.
29 Therefore I say unto you, Go; and whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye judge according to the sins which he has committed; and if he confess his sins before thee and me, and repenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye forgive, and I will forgive him also.
30 Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.

Alma has been given the authority to deal with those who refuse to follow God’s commandments.  The problem he faces is how does he deal with them?  Alma did what any other prophet would have done.  “[H]e … poured out hi whole soul to God.” 

In at least one instance, prayer about a difficult political problem elicits an answer. Unsuccessful in his effort to transfer jurisdiction over zealous apostates to the king, Alma takes his dilemma to the Lord in prayer. "And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him," saying essentially that ecclesiastical dilemmas require ecclesiastical solutions (Mosiah 26:14).[1]

The voice of the Lord came to Alma.

He was commended for his faith in the words of Abinadi.  Those who were baptized by him at the waters of Mormon were also blessed.  This is because of their faith in the words of Alma.

For establishing His church among the Nephites, he was blessed and they will be His people.  Those that bear His name will also be blessed.  “There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives” (Mosiah 5:8).  They will also be called by His name and they are His.  “And all people of the earth shall see that thou art called by the name of the LORD; and they shall be afraid of thee” (Deuteronomy 28:10).

The Lord covenants with Alma as long as he remains His servant.  He was to go forth and gather Christ’s sheep.   They will hear His voice and shall be received into the church.  Anyone who becomes a part of the church shall be baptized unto repentance.  He will freely forgive the believer’s sins.  Jacob taught, “And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God” (2 Nephi 9:23).

Usually we see repentance as occurring before baptism and a public proclamation of one’s belief in Christ.  Here, however, we see the Lord requiring baptism “unto repentance.”  What does this mean?  Noel Reynolds explains,

This phrasing can be confusing when we expect repentance to precede baptism, and the preposition unto seems to indicate that baptism precedes repentance. But the Oxford English Dictionary, which gives the most complete historical analysis of the varieties of English usage, lists 29 distinguishable uses for this preposition. The one which corresponds with the Lord's usage here would indicate that baptisms into the church should only occur in accordance, agreement, or correspondence with the prior repentance of the new member. Because the covenant witnessed in baptism is part of repentance, this relationship is signaled exactly by the phrase baptized unto repentance.[2]

The Lord will take the sins of the world upon Himself.  Those that know Him will find their place at His right-hand.  They will know Him.  “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (John 17:3). “[T]he wicked, who by choice never enjoyed an intimate and covenantal relationship with the Savior, will eventually acknowledge who he is; nevertheless, without his redeeming power to save them, they must attempt the impossible—to save themselves.”[3]

When the second trump sounds, those that never knew Him will come forth.  Joseph and Sidney Rigdon saw these people in vision. 

81 And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament.
82 These are they who received not the gospel of Christ, neither the testimony of Jesus.
83 These are they who deny not the Holy Spirit.
84 These are they who are thrust down to hell.
85 These are they who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work.
D&C 76:81-85

Then will they know their Redeemer, that he offered them salvation, but they refused to be redeemed. 

The prophets of the Book of Mormon teach that redemption is offered to all; however, only those who enter into covenants and are adopted by the Lord, receiving his name, create a family relationship with the Lord where he is able to act as their gō'ēl [4] and deliver them from the bondage of sin.[5]

He will make it clear He never knew those who refused redemption.  They will depart and become subject to the devil and his torments. “But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity” (Luke 13:27).

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven [JST Matt. 7:31 For the day soon cometh, that men shall come before me to judgment, to be judged according to their works].
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name?  and in thy name have cast out devils?  and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity [GR lawlessness].
Matthew 7:21-23

Those that refuse to hear His voice and accept His church will not be received at the last days.  He will tell them, “Go.”  They will be judged according to their sins.  If they sincerely repent, He will forgive them.


[1] The Book of Mormon and Dialogic Revelation, Terryl L. Givens, Maxwell Institute, accessed December 13, 2014.
[2] The True Points of My Doctrine, Noel B. Reynolds, Maxwell Institute, accessed December 13, 2014.
[3] Treaties and Covenants: Ancient Near Eastern Legal Terminology in the Book of Mormon, RoseAnn Benson and Stephen D. Ricks, Maxwell Institute, accessed December 13, 2014.
[4] Ga'al refers to redemption made out of family obligation or responsibility. The person who carries this responsibility is known as the gō'ēl, the present participle of gā'al. The gō'ēl was a person's closest relative who was "responsible for standing up for him and maintaining his rights,"4 a responsibility based on feelings of tribal unity. Basic duties of the gō'ēl were: (1) to buy back sold property; (2) to buy back a man who had sold himself to a foreigner as a slave; (3) to avenge blood and kill a relative's murderer; (4) to receive atonement money; and, figuratively, (5) to be a helper in a lawsuit.5

No comments:

Post a Comment