Monday, February 16, 2015

Alma 5:41-45


`41 Therefore, if a man bringeth forth good works he hearkeneth unto the voice of the good shepherd, and he doth follow him; but whosoever bringeth forth evil works, the same becometh a child of the devil, for he hearkeneth unto his voice, and doth follow him.
42 And whosoever doeth this must receive his wages of him; therefore, for his wages he receiveth death, as to things pertaining unto righteousness, being dead unto all good works.
43 And now, my brethren, I would that ye should hear me, for I speak in the energy of my soul; for behold, I have spoken unto you plainly that ye cannot err, or have spoken according to the commandments of God.
44 For I am called to speak after this manner, according to the holy order of God, which is in Christ Jesus; yea, I am commanded to stand and testify unto this people the things which have been spoken by our fathers concerning the things which are to come.
45 And this is not all.  Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself?  Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.  And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
Alma 5:40-45

Alma continues preaching, using the example of good and evil works.

If a person does good works, he is listening to the Spirit of the Lord and is His disciple. 

The Savior taught the Nephites, “Ye shall know them by their fruits.  Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them” (3 Nephi 14:16-20).

But the person who follows and becomes a child of the devil hardens his heart against the Lord and follows his father, the devil. 

Abinadi told Noah and his priests, “For they are carnal and devilish, and the devil has power over them; yea, even that old serpent that did beguile our first parents, which was the cause of their fall; which was the cause of all mankind becoming carnal, sensual, devilish, knowing evil from good, subjecting themselves to the devil. Thus all mankind were lost; and behold, they would have been endlessly lost were it not that God redeemed his people from their lost and fallen state. But remember that he that persists in his own carnal nature, and goes on in the ways of sin and rebellion against God, remaineth in his fallen state and the devil hath all power over him.  Therefore, he is as though there was no redemption made, being an enemy to God; and also is the devil an enemy to God” (Mosiah 16:3-5).

In his confrontation with Zeezrom, Amulek was offered money to deny the existence of God.  Amulek quickly responded to Zeezrom, “Now Amulek said: O thou child of hell, why tempt ye me?  Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?” (Alma 11:23).  Zeezrom was a great example of a child of the devil.

Whomever a person serves, receives their wages from the one they serve.  Alma earlier said, “For every man receiveth wages of him whom he listeth to obey, and this according to the words of the spirit of prophecy; therefore let it be according to the truth.” (Alma 3:27).  The Lord emphasize Alma’s words.  “For they love darkness rather than light, and their deeds are evil, and they receive their wages of whom they list to obey” (D&C 29:45).  He who serves the devil receives wages of death. Paul told the Romans, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

They are dead to both the things of righteousness and good works. Alma ensures those present know he speaks with authority.  “…I speak in the energy of my soul … according to the commandments of God.”  He will make this same point to the people of Gideon.  “And I trust, according to the Spirit of God which is in me, that I shall also have joy over you; nevertheless I do not desire that my joy over you should come by the cause of so much afflictions and sorrow which I have had for the brethren at Zarahemla, for behold, my joy cometh over them after wading through much affliction and sorrow” (Alma 7:5).

Alma speaks according to the holy order of God.  He received his authority from his father.  “And it came to pass that Alma was appointed to be the first chief judge, he being also the high priest, his father having conferred the office upon him, and having given him the charge concerning all the affairs of the church” (Mosiah 29:42).

Alma speaks to the people because he has been commanded to testify to the people “concerning the things which are to come.” 

Alma asks, don’t you think I know these things myself?  He knows his words are true.  Speaking to Helaman, he said, “And I would not that ye think that I know of myself—not of the temporal but of the spiritual, not of the carnal mind but of God” (Alma 36:4).

How do the people think he knows this to be true? 

To know this, he fasted and prayed to know these things.  This was a common practice on Alma’s part.  When he was going to preach in the land of Ammonihah, the Lord knew he would need assistance.  “As I was journeying to see a very near kindred, behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto me and said: Amulek, return to thine own house, for thou shalt feed a prophet of the Lord; yea, a holy man, who is a chosen man of God; for he has fasted many days because of the sins of this people, and he is an hungered, and thou shalt receive him into thy house and feed him, and he shall bless thee and thy house; and the blessing of the Lord shall rest upon thee and thy house” (Alma 10:7).

The Lord testified through the Holy Spirit these things were true. John would explain the spirit of prophecy.  “And I fell at his feet to worship him.  And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” (Revelation 19:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment