Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Alma 36:1-4

We take a break in the Book of Mormon record to read Alma’s words to his three sons. We begin with Helaman.

Grant Hardy gives us some insight behind Alma’s words to Helaman.

The urgency of Alma’s chiastic retelling of his conversion story at Alma 36 may make us wonder about his relationship with his son, Helaman, the recipient of those remarks. Helaman was Alma’s oldest son and successor as high priest, yet this was the one son he did not take with him on his missionary journey to the Zoramites at Antionum (Alma 31:6-7).[1] Perhaps Helaman had other obligations that kept him at home, but there may have been spiritual concerns as well. It sounds as if Alma desperately wanted Helaman to take his words to heart, and Alma 36 is the most complete account of his conversion we, as well as the one that focuses most intently on both the pains and joys that he felt. By contrast, we see only an abbreviated version in his words to his second son, Shiblon, along with an acknowledgment of Shiblon’s faithfulness and diligence[2] (there is no similar praise for Helaman in chapters 36-37). The rest of Alma’s lecture to Helaman is a charge to receive, safeguard, and update the sacred records in his possession (Alma 37), so it comes as something of a surprise when we learn after some fourteen chapters later, after Alma’s death, that Helaman had not been his first choice to be the next keeper of the records.[3] See Alma 50:37-38.[4]

Alma begins with a promise.  If he keeps God’s commandments, he will prosper in the land.  We see another reminder of the importance of remembrance of previous captivities of their fathers. 

“For behold, I will show unto you that they were brought into bondage, and none could deliver them but the Lord their God, yea, even the God of Abraham and Isaac and of Jacob” (Mosiah 23:23).

“And he said unto Alma: Thou shalt go before this people, and I will go with thee and deliver this people out of bondage. Now it came to pass that Alma and his people in the night–time gathered their flocks together, and also of their grain; yea, even all the night–time were they gathering the flocks together. And in the morning the Lord caused a deep sleep to come upon the Lamanites, yea, and all their task–masters were in a profound sleep. And Alma and his people departed into the wilderness; and when they had traveled all day they pitched their tents in a valley, and they called the valley Alma, because he led their way in the wilderness. Yea, and in the valley of Alma they poured out their thanks to God because he had been merciful unto them, and eased their burdens, and had delivered them out of bondage; for they were in bondage, and none could deliver them except it were the Lord their God” (Mosiah 24:17-21).

“And the LORD brought us forth out of Egypt with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terribleness, and with signs, and with wonders” (Deuteronomy 26:8).

Only the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob was able to deliver them to freedom.  “Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God” (Exodus 3:6). “Yea, and I also remember the captivity of my fathers; for I surely do know that the Lord did deliver them out of bondage, and by this did establish his church; yea, the Lord God, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, did deliver them out of bondage” (Alma 29:11).

Alma calls on him to listen to his words and learn from him.  Helaman should place his trust in Christ. 

“In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me” (Psalms 56:4).

“I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust” (Psalms 91:2).

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5).

“The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe” (Proverbs 29:25).

“And again, I will put my trust in him.  And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me” (Hebrews 2:13).

“And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted (2 Nephi 4:19).

“I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body—I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world. And this is the means whereby salvation cometh.  And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you” (Mosiah 4:6-8).

The Lord will stand by him during his trials.  “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28).

“Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith.
Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day.  Yea, and thus it was with this people” (Mosiah 23:21-22).Joseph

Those that trust in the Lord through their trials and afflictions will be lifted up at the last day. 

“For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him?  even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God” (1 Corinthians 2:11).[5]

“And this is not all.  Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself?  Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true.  And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.  And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me” (Alma 5:45-46).

Don’t think, he tells Helaman, he knows this through temporal means.  He knows this through spiritual means, this is the mind of God.

“Antithetical parallelism is characterized by an opposition of words, expressions, or ideas, or an antithesis between two lines.

And I would not that ye think that I know of myself—
not of the temporal
but of the spiritual,
not of the carnal mind
but of God. (Alma 36:4)

“This double antithetical parallelism demonstrates that the opposite of “temporal” is “spiritual,” and the idea of carnality and godliness are contrasting elements.”[6]


[1] “Therefore he took Ammon, and Aaron, and Omner; and Himni he did leave in the church in Zarahemla; but the former three he took with him, and also Amulek and Zeezrom, who were at Melek; and he also took two of his sons. Now the eldest of his sons he took not with him, and his name was Helaman; but the names of those whom he took with him were Shiblon and Corianton; and these are the names of those who went with him among the Zoramites, to preach unto them the word” (Alma 31:6-7).
[2] “And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end. I say unto you, my son, that I have had great joy in thee already, because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence, and thy patience and thy long-suffering among the people of the Zoramites” (Alma 38:2-3).
[3] “And it came to pass that in the same year that the people of Nephi had peace restored unto them, that Nephihah, the second chief judge, died, having filled the judgment–seat with perfect uprightness before God. Nevertheless, he had refused Alma to take possession of those records and those things which were esteemed by Alma and his fathers to be most sacred; therefore Alma had conferred them upon his son, Helaman” (Alma 50:37-38).
[4] Understanding the Book of Mormon, Grant Hardy, Kindle Edition, Location 3169 to 3212.
[5] “For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him?  even so the things of God knoweth no man, except he has the Spirit of God” (Joseph Smith Translation, 1 Corinthians 2:11).
[6] Poetic Parallelisms in the Book of Mormon, Donald W. Parry, Maxwell Institute, pgs. xxxii-xxxiii.

No comments:

Post a Comment