Tuesday, August 23, 2016

3 Nephi 17:1-3

Chapter 17

Jesus directs the people to ponder His words and pray for understanding—He heals their sick—He prays for the people, using language that cannot be written—Angels minister to and fire encircles their little ones. About A.D. 34.

The Savior had finished His words to the Nephites.  He looked around and told them His time is at hand.  He did perceive the people were weak. 

“But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
“Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk” (Luke 5:22-23).[1]

He perceived they did not understand the words He had been commanded to speak to them. We see this has happened in the past with His teachings.  “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now” (John 16:12).

“Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth” (D&C 50:40).

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;
“And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours” (D&C 78:17-18).

“It seems to me that as chapter 17 begins, the Lord basically wants to leave at this point, that is, to end day one. But there is a problem. They don't want him to leave. Let's read verses 1—7: ‘Behold, now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked round about again on the multitude, and he said unto them: Behold, my time is at hand. I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time’ (3 Nephi 17:1—2).

“By the way, I hadn't thought about this until this time, but what does that indicate about him? Notice his ability to perceive their weakness. He is a perceptive teacher. Notice he says, ‘I know you can't understand everything I have said. I know you don't fathom all of this.’ I remember very well at the October 1972 general conference, President Harold B. Lee said the same thing. He referred to this incident and said, basically, ‘Look, I know you can't grasp it all, but go home and think on these things. We will come back in six months and do this again.’”[2]

Jesus told the Nephites to go home and ponder the words He has spoken.  Pondering the scriptures is essential to gain a full understanding of what they offer us.  “If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works” (Proverbs 20:12).

“For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot” (1 Nephi 11:1).

“And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children” (2 Nephi 4:15).

“And it came to pass that [Nephi2] went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown unto him” (Helaman 10:2).

“Why do many active members of the church not love the scriptures? We believe it is because they haven't learned to ponder them. To ponder, according to Webster, means ‘to weigh in the mind; to think or consider especially quietly, soberly, and deeply.’ After a lengthy discourse, the Savior told the Nephites they needed time to ponder and pray about what he was saying: ‘I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time. Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand’ (3 Nephi 17:2–3). He has repeated this counsel in our time: ‘My friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call upon me while I am near—Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you’ (D&C 88:62–63). So when we don't understand and appreciate the scriptures, the Lord's counsel is to ponder and pray about them. More specifically, we are to ponder first and then to pray. As the Lord says, ‘You must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right’ (D&C 9:8).”[3]

They were also instructed to ask the Father, in His name, to not only understand His words, but to prepare their minds for tomorrow.

“For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments” (Ezra 7:10).

“Wherefore the decree hath gone forth from the Father that they shall be gathered in unto one place upon the face of this land, to prepare their hearts and be prepared in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent forth upon the wicked” (D&C 29:8).
                           
“Eternal principles will take root in us as we take time not only to read the teachings of the prophets and the scriptures but also to ponder them in the spirit of prayer. Nephi, for example, took time to sit and ponder. By so doing, he was exposed to doctrinal pearls (see 1 Nephi 11:1). Take the time to do what the Lord has directed us to do: “Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds” (D&C 43:34). In a world that increasingly demands more of our time, it is essential that we take time to ponder in our homes, so that we may understand divine doctrine and its principles. As the Savior said, “Go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon these things … that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow” (3 Nephi 17:3).”[4]

By doing this, they will be ready to hear His words tomorrow.

“When the Savior appeared to the people of the Book of Mormon, He gave us a great example about not waiting to administer relief to those who have lost a sense of happiness and joy. Having taught the people, He saw that they were unable to understand all His words. He invited them to go to their homes and ponder the things that He had said to them. He told them to pray to the Father and prepare themselves to come again on the morrow, when He would return to teach them.”[5]


[1] “But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
Does it require more power to forgive sins than to make the sick rise up and walk” (JST Luke 5:22-23).
[2] The Doctrine of the Risen Christ: Part 1, Robert L. Millet, Maxwell Institute website.
[3] Pondering the Word, Dennis Packard and Sandra Packard, Maxwell Institute website.
[4] Today Is the Time, Walter F. González, October 2007 General Conference.
[5] Doing the Right Thing at the Right Time, without Delay, Elder José L. Alonso, October 2011 General Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment