Sunday, March 17, 2019

Alma 38:1-5


The commandments of Alma to his son Shiblon.

Comprising chapter 38.

Chapter 38

Shiblon was persecuted for righteousness’ sake—Salvation is in Christ, who is the life and the light of the world—Bridle all your passions. About 74 B.C.

1 My son, give ear to my words, for I say unto you, even as I said unto Helaman, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence.
2 And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end.
3 I say unto you, my son, that I have had great joy in thee already, because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence, and thy patience and thy long-suffering among the people of the Zoramites.
4 For I know that thou wast in bonds; yea, and I also know that thou wast stoned for the word’s sake; and thou didst bear all these things with patience because the Lord was with thee; and now thou knowest that the Lord did deliver thee.
5 And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day. (Alma 38:1-s5)

This chapter contains Alma’s words to his son, Shiblon.

As he said to Helaman, if he keeps God’s commandments, he will prosper in the land. “[F]or ye ought to know as I do know, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and ye ought to know also, that inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence. Now this is according to his word” (Alma 36:30).

If he doesn’t, he will be cut off from the presence of the Lord.

“Behold, do ye not remember the words which [the Lord] spake unto Lehi, saying that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land? And again it is said that: Inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord.
“Now I would that ye should remember, that inasmuch as the Lamanites have not kept the commandments of God, they have been cut off from the presence of the Lord. Now we see that the word of the Lord has been verified in this thing, and the Lamanites have been cut off from his presence, from the beginning of their transgressions in the land” (Alma 9:13-14).

“God also gave us moral agency—the ability and privilege of choosing and acting for ourselves. To help us choose well, Heavenly Father gave us commandments. Each day, as we keep His commandments, we show God that we love Him, and He blesses our lives.”[1]

Alma is pleased he has been faithful to the Lord, which he began in his youth. He hopes he will continue his faithfulness and endure to the end.

“Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him” (Psalm 37:5).

“And now, my beloved brethren, I know by this that unless a man shall endure to the end, in following the example of the Son of the living God, he cannot be saved” (2 Nephi 31:16).

“Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life” (3 Nephi 15:9).

“And whoso taketh upon him my name, and endureth to the end, the same shall be saved at the last day” (3 Nephi 27:6).

“And we know that all men must repent and believe on the name of Jesus Christ, and worship the Father in his name, and endure in faith on his name to the end, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God” (D&C 20:29).

“And again, I would that ye should learn that he only is saved who endureth unto the end” (D&C 53:7).

Alma’s words to Shiblon are only 15 verses long. His words to Helaman filled two chapters. He was given the plates only after the chief judge, Nephihah, refused to take them. He did not go on the mission to the Zoramites. We don’t know why Alma had so much to say to Helaman.

We can imply Shiblon was more faithful than either of his brothers.

Shiblon suffered during the mission to the Zoramites. He was put in bonds. He was stoned because of what he preached. Yet, he endured all these things with patience. He knew the Lord was with him.

“And seek the face of the Lord always, that in patience ye may possess your souls, and ye shall have eternal life” (D&C 101:38).

“Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days” (D&C 24:8).

Shiblon was told to remember to put his trust in God. “And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me” (Psalm 50:15).

 “Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them” (Psalm 22:4).

“Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us” (Psalm 62:8).

“And all that call upon the name of the Lord, and keep his commandments, shall be saved” (D&C 100:17).

By putting his trust in God, he will be delivered from trials, troubles and afflictions.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek [GR gentle and humble] and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
“For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).


[1] Our Father’s Glorious Plan, Elder Weatherford T. Clayton, April 2017 General Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment