Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Alma 38:6-9


6 Now, my son, I would not that ye should think that I know these things of myself, but it is the Spirit of God which is in me which maketh these things known unto me; for if I had not been born of God I should not have known these things.
7 But behold, the Lord in his great mercy sent his angel to declare unto me that I must stop the work of destruction among his people; yea, and I have seen an angel face to face, and he spake with me, and his voice was as thunder, and it shook the whole earth.
8 And it came to pass that I was three days and three nights in the most bitter pain and anguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a remission of my sins. But behold, I did cry unto him and I did find peace to my soul.
9 And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the light of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and righteousness. (Alma 38:6-15)

Alma continues speaking to Shiblon.

He told Shiblon not to think he knows these things of himself. The Spirit of God testified to him the truthfulness of his words. Had he not been born of God, he would not know these things.

“But behold, my limbs did receive their strength again, and I stood upon my feet, and did manifest unto the people that I had been born of God…
“For because of the word which he has imparted unto me, behold, many have been born of God, and have tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God” (Alma 36:23, 26).

“And behold, whosoever believeth on my words, them will I visit with the manifestation of my Spirit; and they shall be born of me, even of water and of the Spirit” (D&C 5:16).

“Alma’s life changed when an angel of the Lord appeared to him and spoke with a voice of thunder. For three days and three nights, Alma ‘was racked with eternal torment, … even with the pains of a damned soul.’

“When Alma emerged from this experience, he was a changed man. From that moment on, he devoted his life to undoing the damage he had caused. He is a powerful example of repentance, forgiveness, and enduring faithfulness.”[1]

The Lord, in His great mercy, sent him an angel. “[The angel] cried … saying: Alma, arise and stand forth, for why persecutest thou the church of God? For the Lord hath said: This is my church, and I will establish it; and nothing shall overthrow it, save it is the transgression of my people” (Mosiah 27:13).

He was commanded to stop trying to destroy the church and the people. His voice was like thunder and it shook the whole earth.

For three days and nights, Alma suffered “the most bitter pain and anguish of soul” (Alma 38:8).

“[I]f that man repenteth not, and remaineth and dieth an enemy to God, the demands of divine justice do awaken his immortal soul to a lively sense of his own guilt, which doth cause him to shrink from the presence of the Lord, and doth fill his breast with guilt, and pain, and anguish, which is like an unquenchable fire, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever” (Mosiah 2:38).

“And now, my brethren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance” (Alma 13:27).

“Many sorrows shall be to the wicked” (Psalm 32:10).

“[B]y sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken” (Proverbs 15:13).

He cried out to the Lord for mercy, and he received forgiveness for his sins “[A]s ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls” (Mosiah 4:11).

“Therefore, whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy through mine Only Begotten Son, unto a remission of his sins; and these shall enter into my rest”
(Alma 12:34).

Even so, he continued to cry to the Lord until he found peace.

“Of all the necessary steps to repentance, I testify that the most critically important is for you to have a conviction that forgiveness comes because of the Redeemer. It is essential to know that only on His terms can you be forgiven. Witness Alma’s declaration: ‘I was … in the most bitter pain and anguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a remission of my sins. But … I did cry unto him and I did find peace to my soul.’ You will be helped as you exercise faith in Jesus Christ. That means you trust Him and you trust His teachings. Satan would have you believe that serious transgression cannot be entirely overcome. The Savior gave His life so that the effects of all transgression can be put behind us, save the shedding of innocent blood and the denial of the Holy Ghost.”[2] (emphasis in original)

Alma told Shiblon these things that he may learn it is only through Christ whereby we can find salvation. “Now Aaron began to open the scriptures unto them concerning the coming of Christ, and also concerning the resurrection of the dead, and that there could be no redemption for mankind save it were through the death and sufferings of Christ, and the atonement of his blood” (Alma 21:9).

Christ is the light and life of the world. “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid” (Psalm 27:1).

“In him was life; and the life was the light of men” (John 1:4).

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” (John 8:12).

“I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life” (3 Nephi 15:9).

“[H]e is the word of truth and righteousness” (Alma 38:9).

“And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world” (Ether 4:12).

“Light symbolism masterfully presents the gospel as essential in the process of leading toward eternal life. Grateful for gospel light, Joseph Smith declared: ‘Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna to Almighty God, that rays of light begin to burst forth upon us even now.’ The first principle of the gospel, faith, is portrayed in the opening sections of the Book of Mormon as going through mists of darkness (temptations) to reach the tree of life whose fruit is ‘white above all that is white’ (Alma 32:42). Partaking of the fruit is described by Alma as tasting light (Alma 32:35). Tasting the light is not sufficient, though. Alma teaches that this tree of life, or tree of light, must be nourished until it becomes ‘a tree springing up unto everlasting life’ (Alma 32:41).”[3]


[1] Learn from Alma and Amulek, Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2016 General Conference.
[2] Finding Forgiveness, Elder Richard G. Scott, April 1995 General Conference.
[3] Light: A Masterful Symbol, Richard Dilworth Rust, Journal of the Book of Mormon and Other Restoration Scripture 20/1 (2011):59-60.

No comments:

Post a Comment