Thursday, May 30, 2019

Mosiah 2:23-28


23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.
24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?
25 And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you.
26 And I, even I, whom ye call your king, am no better than ye yourselves are; for I am also of the dust. And ye behold that I am old, and am about to yield up this mortal frame to its mother earth.
27 Therefore, as I said unto you that I had served you, walking with a clear conscience before God, even so I at this time have caused that ye should assemble yourselves together, that I might be found blameless, and that your blood should not come upon me, when I shall stand to be judged of God of the things whereof he hath commanded me concerning you.
28 I say unto you that I have caused that ye should assemble yourselves together that I might rid my garments of your blood, at this period of time when I am about to go down to my grave, that I might go down in peace, and my immortal spirit may join the choirs above in singing the praises of a just God. (Mosiah 2:23-41)

King Benjamin continues his sermon.

He reminds us we are indebted to Him for our lives which He granted to us.

The Lord requires we should do as He hath commanded us. “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God [OR revere God], and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

If we do this, we will receive His immediate blessings. He will have paid us; yet, we are still indebted to Him. “By humility and the fear of the Lord [OR reverence of the Lord] are riches, and honour, and life” (Proverbs 22:4).

“And he hath said that: Inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land” (2 Nephi 1:20).

We will be indebted to Him forever and ever. So, about what do we have to boast?

“[M]ost blessings that God desires to give us require action on our part-action based on our faith in Jesus Christ. Faith in the Savior is a principle of action and of power. First we act in faith; then the power comesaccording to Gods will and timing. The sequence is crucial. The required action, though, is always tiny when compared to the blessings we ultimately receive.”[1]

nd now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were created of the dust of the earth; but behold, it belongeth to him who created you.

Can we say anything about ourselves? No. Were are not even as the dust of the Earth. “And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word” (Moses 3:7).

Everything belongs “to him who created you” (Mosiah 2:25).

“O how great is the nothingness of the children of men; yea, even they are less than the dust of the earth.
“For behold, the dust of the earth moveth hither and thither, to the dividing asunder, at the command of our great and everlasting God” (Helaman 12:7-8).

Even though his is king, he is no better than anyone else. He too, is of the dust. He is old and will soon die.

“[King Benjamin] is setting the keynote, which is absolute equality. And that follows naturally from the proposition that we owe everything to God, to whom we are perpetually and inescapably in debt beyond our means of repayment … Let no one boast that he has earned or produced a thing … It is his property, not yours! What is more, no one can even pay his own way in the world, let alone claim a surplus.”[2]

King Benjamin had served them, with a clear conscience before God. He had them assemble so he would be found blameless and their blood should not come upon him. And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day” (Jacob 1:19).


[1] Abound with Blessings, Elder Dale G. Renlund, April 2019 General Conference.
[2] Work We Must, But the Lunch Is Free, Hugh W. Nibley, Maxwell Institute website.

No comments:

Post a Comment