Monday, December 30, 2019

1 Nephi 11:1-7


Chapter 11

Nephi sees the Spirit of the Lord and is shown in vision the tree of life—He sees the mother of the Son of God and learns of the condescension of God—He sees the baptism, ministry, and crucifixion of the Lamb of God—He sees also the call and ministry of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. About 600–592 B.C.

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
2 And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what desirest thou?
3 And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father saw.
4 And the Spirit said unto me: Believest thou that thy father saw the tree of which he hath spoken?
5 And I said: Yea, thou knowest that I believe all the words of my father.
6 And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying: Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the earth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired.
7 And behold this thing shall be given unto thee for a sign, that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God.

Nephi had been pondering his father’s words.  Pondering is an important part of understanding the word of the Lord.  Later, Nephi would write, “And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass.  For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children” (2 Nephi 4:15).

After Nephi3 told the people to go to the assassinated chief judge’s brother, and he would confess, he returned home.  “that Nephi went his way towards his own house, pondering upon the things which the Lord had shown unto him” (Helaman 10:2).

Prior to His departure after His first appearance to the Nephites, Christ commanded them to “go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again” (3 Nephi 17:3).

President Joseph F. Smith wrote, “On the third of October, in the year nineteen hundred and eighteen, I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures; And reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world; And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world” (D&C 138:1 - 3).  His pondering over the scriptures would lead to his vision “concerning the Savior's visit to the spirits of the dead while his body was in the tomb” (D&C 138:Heading).

While pondering Lehi’s words, he was “caught away in the spirit of the Lord” to “an exceedingly high mountain” (1 Nephi 11:1).  Mountains play a role in receiving the word of God.  For example, “the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law [OR instruction], and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them. And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God” (Exodus 24:12 - 13).

As a part of his great revelation, John wrote the Spirit “carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God” (Revelation 21:10).

Writing about what was about to occurring Jeanette W. Miller explains,

“In 1 Nephi 11:1–25, we find that Nephi desired to see the vision that his father Lehi had previously received of the tree of life. Nephi said that ‘as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain’ (1 Nephi 11:1). The following verses include an interview with the Spirit, who asks certain questions to ascertain Nephi's intent and worthiness to receive the interpretation of the vision.”[1] 

He met the Spirit on the mountain, and the Spirit began to question him.  He was asked what he desired.  Nephi explained, “I desire to behold the things which my father saw” (1 Nephi 11:3).  The Spirit asked if he believed his father saw the tree about which Lehi told his family.  Nephi replied with full faith.  “Yea, thou knowest that I believe all the words of my father” (1 Nephi 11:5).

The Spirit praised God with a loud voice, praising God, after Nephi declared his faith.  “And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou believest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired” (1 Nephi 11:6). 

Nephi was given a sign and a command, “that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God” (1 Nephi 11:7).


[1] The Tree of Life, a Personification of Christ, Jeanette W. Miller, Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute.


No comments:

Post a Comment