Friday, April 3, 2020

2 Nephi 26:1-8


Chapter 26

Christ shall minister to the Nephites—Nephi foresees the destruction of his people—They shall speak from the dust—The gentiles shall build up false churches and secret combinations—The Lord forbids men to practice priestcrafts. About 559–545 B.C.

1 And after Christ shall have risen from the dead he shall show himself unto you, my children, and my beloved brethren; and the words which he shall speak unto you shall be the law which ye shall do.
2 For behold, I say unto you that I have beheld that many generations shall pass away, and there shall be great wars and contentions among my people.
3 And after the Messiah shall come there shall be signs given unto my people of his birth, and also of his death and resurrection; and great and terrible shall that day be unto the wicked, for they shall perish; and they perish because they cast out the prophets, and the saints, and stone them, and slay them; wherefore the cry of the blood of the saints shall ascend up to God from the ground against them.
4 Wherefore, all those who are proud, and that do wickedly, the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, for they shall be as stubble.
5 And they that kill the prophets, and the saints, the depths of the earth shall swallow them up, saith the Lord of Hosts; and mountains shall cover them, and whirlwinds shall carry them away, and buildings shall fall upon them and crush them to pieces and grind them to powder.
6 And they shall be visited with thunderings, and lightnings, and earthquakes, and all manner of destructions, for the fire of the anger of the Lord shall be kindled against them, and they shall be as stubble, and the day that cometh shall consume them, saith the Lord of Hosts.
7 O the pain, and the anguish of my soul for the loss of the slain of my people! For I, Nephi, have seen it, and it well nigh consumeth me before the presence of the Lord; but I must cry unto my God: Thy ways are just.
8 But behold, the righteous that hearken unto the words of the prophets, and destroy them not, but look forward unto Christ with steadfastness for the signs which are given, notwithstanding all persecution—behold, they are they which shall not perish.

Nephi had taught his people that Christ would be crucified by the Jews.   After His death, he would be resurrected and fulfill the plan of salvation.

Nephi writes that, after his resurrection, he will appear to his people and teach them law.  He had seen this earlier in vision.  “And I saw the heavens open, and the Lamb of God descending out of heaven; and he came down and showed himself unto [my people]”
 (1 Nephi 12:6). 

When Christ ministered to the Nephites, He taught them He had fulfilled the Law of Moses.

“And it came to pass that when Jesus had said these words he perceived that there were some among them who marveled, and wondered what he would concerning the law of Moses; for they understood not the saying that old things had passed away, and that all things had become new.
“And he said unto them: Marvel not that I said unto you that old things had passed away, and that all things had become anew.
“Behold, I say unto you that the law is fulfilled that was given unto Moses.
“Behold, I am he that gave the law, and I am he who covenanted with my people Israel; therefore, the law in me is fulfilled, for I have come to fulfil the law; therefore it hath an end.
“Behold, I do not destroy the prophets, for as many as have not been fulfilled in me, verily I say unto you, shall all be fulfilled.
“And because I said unto you that old things have passed away, I do not destroy that which hath been spoken concerning things which are to come.
“For behold, the covenant which I have made with my people is not all fulfilled; but the law which was given unto Moses hath an end in me.
“Behold, I am the law, and the light.  Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.
“Behold, I have given unto you the commandments; therefore keep my commandments.  And this is the law and the prophets, for they truly testified of me” (3 Nephi 15:2-10).

After Christ’s ministry, they lived in peace and harmony for almost 200 years.  At the end of that period, the people would fall away.  There will then arise wars and contentions among the people.

In Nephi’s great vision, he saw what would happen before Christ ministered to his people.

“And it came to pass that I saw a mist of darkness on the face of the land of promise; and I saw lightnings, and I heard thunderings, and earthquakes, and all manner of tumultuous noises; and I saw the earth and the rocks, that they rent; and I saw mountains tumbling into pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth, that they were broken up; and I saw many cities that they were sunk; and I saw many that they were burned with fire; and I saw many that did tumble to the earth, because of the quaking thereof.
“And it came to pass after I saw these things, I saw the vapor of darkness, that it passed from off the face of the earth; and behold, I saw multitudes who had not fallen because of the great and terrible judgments of the Lord.
“And I saw the heavens open, and the Lamb of God descending out of heaven; and he came down and showed himself unto them” (1 Nephi 12:4-6).

Why would this occur?  “[T] hey shall perish; and they perish because they cast out the prophets, and the saints, and stone them, and slay them; wherefore the cry of the blood of the saints shall ascend up to God from the ground against them” (2 Nephi 26:3).

After telling his people the Savior will visit them, he begins to describe what will happen at the time of Christ’s crucifixion.  What about the proud and those “that do wickedly”?  “[T]he day that cometh shall burn them up … for they shall be as stubble” (2 Nephi 26:4). 

Those that kill the Lord’s prophets and the saints will be swallowed up by the depths of the Earth; mountains shall fall on them; they will be carried away by whirlwinds and buildings will collapse and fall of them.  But, the people have been warned.  David wrote, “Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm” (Psalms 105:15). 

Nephi quoted Zenos earlier in his record.  “The Lord God surely shall visit all the house of Israel at that day, some with his voice, because of their righteousness, unto their great joy and salvation, and others with the thunderings and the lightnings of his power, by tempest, by fire, and by smoke, and vapor of darkness, and by the opening of the earth, and by mountains which shall be carried up” (1 Nephi 19:11). 

Mormon, after recording the destruction wrote, “And now, whoso readeth, let him understand; he that hath the scriptures, let him search them, and see and behold if all these deaths and destructions by fire, and by smoke, and by tempests, and by whirlwinds, and by the opening of the earth to receive them, and all these things are not unto the fulfilling of the prophecies of many of the holy prophets” (3 Nephi 10:14).

The Nephites will experience “thunderings, and lightnings, and earthquakes, and all manner of destruction” (2 Nephi 26:6).  This is because the anger of the Lord will be kindled against them.

Knowing that those who die at the time of Christ’s crucifixion because of their wickedness leads Nephi to cry, “O the pain and anguish of my soul for the loss of the slain of my people” (2 Nephi 26:7).  In spite of the pain, Nephi responds, “I must cry unto my God:  Thy ways are just” (2 Nephi 26:7).

The righteous will not suffer the death of the wicked.  Those that “look forward unto Christ with steadfastness for the signs which are given … shall not perish” (2 Nephi 26:8).  Mormon would write about the fulfillment of this promise.

“And it was the more righteous part of the people who were saved, and it was they who received the prophets and stoned them not; and it was they who had not shed the blood of the saints, who were spared—
“And they were spared and were not sunk and buried up in the earth; and they were not drowned in the depths of the sea; and they were not burned by fire, neither were they fallen upon and crushed to death; and they were not carried away in the whirlwind; neither were they overpowered by the vapor of smoke and of darkness” (3 Nephi 10:12-13).

Nephi’s powerful testimony of Christ will influence the Book of Mormon.  Stephen Ricks writes:

“The Book of Mormon, too, reveals an intense expectation of the coming of their Messiah (usually referred to in the Book of Mormon as Christ). The Nephites ‘look forward unto Christ [i.e., the Messiah] with steadfastness for the signs which are given’(2 Nephi 26:8). Indeed, the prophets of the Book of Mormon even prophesy the year of Christ's birth: Nephi prophesies that Christ will be born ‘six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem’ (1 Nephi 10:4), while the mysterious Samuel the Lamanite tells the Nephites that he would be born in five years (Helaman 14:2).”[1]


[1] The Book of Mormon and the Dead Sea Scrolls, Stephen D. Ricks, Maxwell Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment