Thursday, May 26, 2016

3 Nephi 5:10-14

Mormon has broken into his narrative to explain how he is going about abridging what would become the Book of Mormon. He writes a main source is the plates of Nephi. Other refrences are made by Mormon as he abridges the plates. Moroni also does the same. “Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi, from which I have taken all the account which I have written” (Helaman 2:14).”

“AND now I, Mormon, make a record of the things which I have both seen and heard, and call it the Book of Mormon. And about the time that Ammaron hid up the records unto the Lord, he came unto me, (I being about ten years of age, and I began to be learned somewhat after the manner of the learning of my people) and Ammaron said unto me: I perceive that thou art a sober child, and art quick to observe; Therefore, when ye are about twenty and four years old I would that ye should remember the things that ye have observed concerning this people; and when ye are of that age go to the land Antum, unto a hill which shall be called Shim; and there have I deposited unto the Lord all the sacred engravings concerning this people. And behold, ye shall take the plates of Nephi unto yourself, and the remainder shall ye leave in the place where they are; and ye shall engrave on the plates of Nephi all the things that ye have observed concerning this people” (Mormon 1:1- 4).

“And now, the city of Jashon was near the land where Ammaron had deposited the records unto the Lord, that they might not be destroyed. And behold I had gone according to the word of Ammaron, and taken the plates of Nephi, and did make a record according to the words of Ammaron. And upon the plates of Nephi I did make a full account of all the wickedness and abominations; but upon these plates I did forbear to make a full account of their wickedness and abominations, for behold, a continual scene of wickedness and abominations has been before mine eyes ever since I have been sufficient to behold the ways of man” (Mormon 2:17-18).

“BEHOLD I, Moroni, do finish the record of my father, Mormon. Behold, I have but few things to write, which things I have been commanded by my father … Therefore I will write and hide up the records in the earth; and whither I go it mattereth not … Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not; and ore I have none, for I am alone. My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and chow long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not … And I am the same who hideth up this record unto the Lord; the plates thereof are of no worth, because of the commandment of the Lord. For he truly saith that no one shall have them to get gain; but the record thereof is of great worth; and whoso shall bring it to light, him will the Lord bless” (Mormon 8:1, 4-5, 14).

Mormon also makes it clear this record is “made with mine own hands” (3 Nephi 5:11).

“[T]he Book of Mormon stands in stark contrast to the Hebrew Bible. While the Bible says virtually nothing about how its records were kept and transmitted and while its narrators hardly ever play even a minor role within the narrative itself, the processes, purposes, and persons of record keeping in the Book of Mormon are central to and ever present in the story. Nephi and Mormon are at the same time the major record keepers and the two central human characters in the narrative. Their respective records also contain numerous asides in which they reflect upon their literary purposes and the nature of the record they attempt to create. Even Christ takes time during his brief ministry to correct and complete the Nephite record and to be sure that his followers understand earth’s mortal history by means of their recorded scriptures.”[1]

It is here we meet Mormon for the first time (3 Nephi 5:12). He introduces himself and the person making this record. He tells us he is named after the land of Mormon. “And it came to pass that as many as did believe [Alma1] did go forth to a place which was called Mormon, having received its name from the king, being in the borders of the land having been infested, by times or at seasons, by wild beasts. Now, there was in Mormon a fountain of pure water, and Alma resorted thither, there being near the water a thicket of small trees, where he did hide himself in the daytime from the searches of the king … And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever” (Mosiah 18:4-5, 30).

“I, Alma, having been consecrated by my father, Alma, to be a high priest over the church of God, he having power and authority from God to do these things, behold, I say unto you that he began to establish a church in the land which was in the borders of Nephi; yea, the land which was called the land of Mormon; yea, and he did baptize his brethren in the waters of Mormon” (Alma 5:3).

Mormon declares he is a disciple of Christ. He was called “to declare his word among this people, ta they might have everlasting life” (3 Nephi 5:13). “HEARKEN, O ye Gentiles, and hear the words of Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, which he hath commanded me that I should speak concerning you, for, behold he commandeth me that I should write…” (3 Nephi 30:1).

“And now I, Mormon, speak unto you, my beloved brethren; and it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, and his holy will, because of the gift of his calling unto me, that I am permitted to speak unto you at this time” (Moroni 7:2).

Mormon was a true disciple who lived in a day when “every heart was hardened … and there never had been so great wickedness among all the children of Lehi.”7 How would you like to have lived in that day? And yet Mormon boldly declared, “Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.”

Don’t you love Mormon? He knew who he was and what his mission was and was not distracted by the evil that surrounded him. In fact, he considered his calling to be a gift.[2]

The record he is making is done according to God’s will.  This record is being preserved through the prayers of all the righteous and their faith.  For example…

And now behold, this was the desire which I desired of him—that if it should so be, that my people, the Nephites, should fall into transgression, and by any means be destroyed, and the Lamanites should not be destroyed, that the Lord God would preserve a record of my people, the Nephites; even if it so be by the power of his holy arm, that it might be brought forth at some future day unto the Lamanites, that, perhaps, they might be brought unto salvation—
For at the present our strugglings were vain in restoring them to the true faith.  And they swore in their wrath that, if it were possible, they would destroy our records and us, and also all the traditions of our fathers.
Wherefore, I knowing that the Lord God was able to preserve our records, I cried unto him continually, for he had said unto me: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it.
And I had faith, and I did cry unto God that he would preserve the records; and he covenanted with me that he would bring them forth unto the Lamanites in his own due time.
And I, Enos, knew it would be according to the covenant which he had made; wherefore my soul did rest.
And the Lord said unto me: Thy fathers have also required of me this thing; and it shall be done unto them according to their faith; for their faith was like unto thine” (Enos 1:13-18).


[1] The Covenant of the Chosen People: The Spiritual Foundations of Ethnic Identity in the Book of Mormon, Steven L. Olsen, Journal of the Book of Mormon and Other Restoration Scripture 21/2 (2012): 22-23.
[2] Wanted: Hands and Hearts to Hasten the Work, Sister Linda K. Burton, Relief Society General President, April 2014 General Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment