Sunday, April 29, 2018

Mosiah 26:12-27


13 And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.
14 And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him, saying:
15 Blessed art thou, Alma, and blessed are they who were baptized in the waters of Mormon. Thou art blessed because of thy exceeding faith in the words alone of my servant Abinadi.

Alma had gone to King Mosiah and asked for his help dealing with church members who had fallen away. He told Alma, “But king Mosiah said unto Alma: Behold, I judge them not; therefore I deliver them into thy hands to be judged” (Mosiah 26:12). “The earthly king, who, in earlier Nephite tradition, had been the fount of religious authority and the last resort for religious questions, had definitively given up such a role. Only the heavenly king was left.”[1]

He was troubled. He did not know how to deal with those who had fallen away from the truth. He wanted to be sure he dealt with them properly. So, he “poured out his whole soul to God” (Mosiah 26:14).

“Queries [to the Lord] can … be of a strictly doctrinal nature … In at least one instance, prayer about a difficult political problem elicits an answer. Unsuccessful in his effort to transfer jurisdiction over zealous apostates to the king, Alma takes his dilemma to the Lord in prayer. ‘And it came to pass … the voice of the Lord came to him,’ saying essentially that ecclesiastical dilemmas require ecclesiastical solutions (Mosiah 26:14).”[2]

The Lord blessed Alma for his faith in the words of Abinadi. Those who believed his words and were baptized at the waters of Mormon were also blessed. They are also blessed for placing their faith in Alma’s teachings.

16 And blessed are they because of their exceeding faith in the words alone which thou hast spoken unto them.
17 And blessed art thou because thou hast established a church among this people; and they shall be established, and they shall be my people.
18 Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.
19 And because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed.
20 Thou art my servant; and I covenant with thee that thou shalt have eternal life; and thou shalt serve me and go forth in my name, and shalt gather together my sheep.
21 And he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.
22 For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive.

The Lord reminds Alma he had established His church among the Nephites. “[K]ing Mosiah granted unto Alma that he might establish churches throughout all the land of Zarahemla; and gave him power to ordain priests and teachers over every church” (Mosiah 25:19). Members are blessed for taking upon themselves His name. He told Alma, “in my name shall they be called; and they are mine” (Mosiah 26:18).

Those “that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive” (Mosiah 26:21). Those who are baptized are baptized to repentance. “And he commandeth all men that they must repent, and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God” (2 Nephi 9:23). Those “whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive” (Mosiah 26:22).

“Because repentance includes the covenant to obey the commandments of the Lord, it is tied closely to baptism in water as the public evidence or witness of that covenant. Thus baptism in water is the appropriate sequel to repentance.”[3]

23 For it is I that taketh upon me the sins of the world; for it is I that hath created them; and it is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand.
24 For behold, in my name are they called; and if they know me they shall come forth, and shall have a place eternally at my right hand.
25 And it shall come to pass that when the second trump shall sound then shall they that never knew me come forth and shall stand before me.
26 And then shall they know that I am the Lord their God, that I am their Redeemer; but they would not be redeemed.
27 And then I will confess unto them that I never knew them; and they shall depart into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

He will take upon himself the sins of the world. “[I]t is I that granteth unto him that believeth unto the end a place at my right hand” (Mosiah 26:23). If they know Him, the will “have a place eternally at my right hand” (Mosiah 26:24). “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent” (John 17:3).

When the second trumps sounds, those who never knew Him will stand before Him.

“And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for [OR who has charge over] the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.
“And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:1-2).

At that time, they will know “I am the Lord their God, that I am their Redeemer; but they would not be redeemed” (Mosiah 26:26). He will tell them He did not know them.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
“And then will I profess unto them [JST Matthew 7:33 – And then will I say, Ye never knew me], I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity [GR lawlessness]” (Matthew 7:21-23).

The will “And then I will confess unto them that I never knew them; and they shall depart into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels” (Mosiah 26:27). “But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity” (Luke 13:27).


[1] Authority in the Book of Mosiah, Daniel C. Peterson, FARMS Review 18/1 (2006): 177.
[2] The Book of Mormon and Dialogic Revelation, Terryl L. Givens, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 10/2 (2001): 23-24.
[3] The True Points of My Doctrine, Noel B. Reynolds, Maxwell Institute website.

No comments:

Post a Comment